Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darwin Milkfish

shawn

Darwin Milkfish

Thanks for the congratulations after the Mooloolabar Tuna comp. Sorry I didn't respond sooner , but I have been flat out at work for the last couple of weeks .

I'm going to Darwin for a couple of weeks for work on the 12 th of May,(the day after the Bribie Tuna comp , 3 from 3 for Team Waterhaul we hope) and will have 1 day off.
    I would like to catch a Milkfish on fly.Any advice on catching these awesome fish would be appreciated.
    Where to go , kind of flies ,rod weight ,line ,etc. ???

I've been told it would be hard to cast around Doctors Gully,(outside the no fishing area) because of problems back casting.Is there any where else you can have a crack at them?
    Or would I be better off with a hire boat and trying to get one that way?
    thanks,Shawn.

Re: Darwin Milkfish

Shawn,
    Mate I am lucky enough to live up here in sunny Darwin and have caught a couple on fly. If you email me at rex88@hotkey.net.au I will give you my phone number and if you like we can arrange a trip out in the harbour to try and get you a milky. My best to date is only 7.3kg on a 9# and 6kg tippet, took 40 min to net and it was still green.
    Ian

shawn

G'day Ian, expect an E-mail any minute.
    Thanks mate....Shawn

shawn

Back from Darwin, and thanks to Ian Krenske (aka iank) I got my first Milkfish. And wasn't I a happy camper.

Everything worked out, the weather was perfect,there was nobody else there and Ian had it worked out down to the minute when the Milkies would show up in the berley trail. The fish I got was one of the smaller ones,there were some well over 10kg amongst them.

Once we got the fish we went chasing Barra and Threadfin Salmon,just to top off an excellent day.
    Thanks again Ian.....Shawn.

Anyone can catch one on dough and a float

shawn

Jealousy is a curse mate,have you caught one? #
    Maybe you could take your new famous friends out and throw SQUIDGIES at them. [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=hammer.gif][smiley=laugh.gif]

fisher

Nice looking fish Shawn!!! as in sheep shame about the bloke holding it,did you go on the nod while you were waiting for the fish to show up or does that only happen when your really comfortable in a canoe waiting for fish to show up Rumour has it that Scotty's gona sell his fly gear and start throwing squidgies at tuna [smiley=hammer.gif] any truth in that one Scotty .Only pullin the piss out of ya boys when ya comin up for a fish.Paul

shawn

G'day Paul,no I didn't go the nod. [smiley=sleeping.gif]It must have been your highly stimulating and informative conversation, that made me tired in your tub. [smiley=sleeping.gif]

Saw an order for some matthews character.. for a "where to find fish" by Steve Starling , a new 4000 shimano stella and some 4lb fireline ????any clues??????
    Nice catch shawn but we are all jealous.. What was this "WORK" trip??

shawn

[smiley=gossip.gif]The rumour that I was told was that 20kg Tuna don't run hard enough, or put up much fight, so he is goin BREAMIN. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Let it be known that my hands have never and will never be tainted by the scent of a soft plastic. Funny Shawn, that doesn't look like one of the flies that you tied for the milkies, had to resort to someone else's talents in fly tieing to catch one eh.
    Looks like everyone missed out on the longies on the weekend, should have watched the news sat night. Wonder what those big dark fish swimming around the baitball with the sharks were.

shawn

No it wasn't one of my flies.It was one of Ians,I had about 10 takes on my fly but no hook ups.They were only sipping the bread, not smashing it. I think I had too much fluffy stuff on it.
    Ian went out the next day and caught one, on one of my other flies, so they do work.

How come you two aren't at work?

Chasing the old estuary carp hey?

shawn

G'day Rob,
    Just a word of warning mate, Scott's gone over to the dark side[smiley=devil.gif]. All he's been talking about since he saw the light, is flippin and pitchin, jiggin and twiggin plastics. He even tried to bye some of my old casterbater badges,for his shirt, so hide yours.
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #[smiley=smitten.gif] SQUIDGIES FOREVER #[smiley=smitten.gif]

wretch

hahahahaha @ scotts comment, nice milkie shawn, mind u scott, atleast his guide dude managed to get fish up and feeding for him, we allways sit there looking at the water when i take u milkie fishing, u might be jinxed
    what did u think of the fight shawn? i hope it was'nt a let down, mine have both gone hard as i told u
    nic