Thread: reels

wretch

reels

kinda on the topic of drags as done allready, i'd like to know if anyone has used the lamson velocities or litespeeds on tunas and the like (in like a 10 weightish size), i admire the fact that they r light reels, i hate the idea of lugging a bigass reel around on a ten weight, light is the way to go in my book, well maybe for my feeble arms anyway.
    While i agree that the big reels r dam hard to beat as far as drags go, i do contest the problem that half of them weigh a good 2tonne on the end of a fly rod, kinda ruins the whole light fly rod deal dont u think?
    Cheers
    Nic

Re: reels

what reel were you using on the weekend nic?

cheers, justin

Re: reels

I notice that people don't complain about hefty threaddy reels on light spin sticks. Regardless of the weight of the rod, one should use a reel adequate for catching the type and size fish you are chasing. This furfy about weight, remember weight goes up when you fill it with line, has resulted in reels that look like gold plated aluminium wire netting. More holes than substance.
    I prefer a reel with guts, no spool holes and with a sensible drag system. Cheers Max