Thread: Flies for Darwin

Flies for Darwin

Hi folks.
    Can anyone give me some advice. I live in Scotland and new to saltwater fly fishing but am going to Darwin for 3 days with a Guide in early July. I have a new 8/9 weight and looking forward to the trip. Can anyone suggest patterns and lengths of flies and should I get a sinking line in addition to my intermedeate and floater? What species are likely to be about? Thanks

fisher

Re: Flies for Darwin

Hi Jock,your guide should be able to tell you what you need in the way of lines, but I would add a shooting head in with the others and maybe a spair intermedeate thrown in if you can afford it.Some nasty critters live up that way,a few fly sugestions would be pink things,decievers in a few colours and definatly in white some clousers and polar fibre minows should put you onto a few good fish,but as I said get onto your guide and find out what you will be chaseing in the area he's taking you to.Hope this helps you out and enjoy your stay in Oz .Paul

Well fill a small shoe box full of plain white Deceivers in sizes 4/0 to 1/0 and get a 12# outfit at least a TFO 12#. It will be light, very responsive and will cover for everything in between 9# to 12#.
    With shooting heads you will need running lines, and the idead tropical shooting head is a 30' length of Cortland LC13. But in any case you will find that a sinking line, aka Scientific Anglers HiD sinking line, at least 1 weight heavier than you rod rating will do wonders.
    You need to reduce your false casting as much as you can, so uprate your lines, at least one weight which reduces the effort needed to load the rod. Better still go up 2 weights. Get a few poppers, a gurgler or two, you can get a Salt Water Gurgler kit from Lee Haskins on Dan Blantons board. I fished most of Australia with a SA HiD shooting head, the only line I had without any problems.
    Have fun. Max

Thanks Paul and Max for taking the trouble to reply. Your suggestions have been noted and will be acted on. My son has just contacted the guide who has said pretty much the same as you guys. Good to know everyone is singing the same tune.

I dont think it is the best time of year but never mind its the only window we have. We will be taking a drop of "Scottish water" with us to toast the first fish so lets hope the bottle is cracked. We are also going to see if there are any early tuna about around Sydney - you never know. Cheers,

Brett_Hoskin

Don't forgrt the bread imitation flies for the Milkfish!!!

Might be an idea to take along some gold bomber flies and some dahlbergs for the toga.
    Regards,
    allan