Thread: Split cane

Split cane

G'day all
    Does anyone know of any split cane fly rod manufacturers or resellers. im after a split cane lite weight rod for a tassie trout project.
    Cheers
    Michael

Re: Split cane

Micheal,

You can try "The Tackle Shop" at Carseldine. They sell Orvis gear. Orvis still make cane fly rods.

If you though graphite rods cost a lot, sit down before you check out the price of hand made cane rods(remember the prices are US &#36.

Check out their web site.
    http://www.orvis.com/store/product_d...&subcat%5Fid=1

Can I have a cast, when you get one?

Wes

Hi Landy
    got a couple of fibaglass fly rods and they catch tassie trout fine and just for a project.
    But all bull.... aside, keep your eye on ebay in the collectable section seen a couple there over the last 12 months
    cheers
    blaze

Thanks for the tips guys, Thers a fellow up at the sunshine coast somewhere that makes them for around about $800 starting price . Thats getting a bit silly for something thats so easy to break. Thought about trying to make my own there are a few american how to sites but im not that multi skilled. Ah well ill keep the search up. Id love to have one for those tassie river trips. think ill leave the silk line alone though
    cheers
    Michael

Be advised that "old" split cane rods can be a disaster, due to the age of the glues used. They can fall apart if you start using them with modern lines and techniques.
    Cheers, and happy hunting. Max

fisher

Hi landy1 I saw one at the koala markets in Hervey Bay last Sunday,the guy sells alot of old fishin gear.The make don't know how old no idea weight I'd say around six? but looked very old and don't know if it would stand up to to much casting nowdays,he wanted 65 bucks for it, if I had the money I would have bought it for a wall piece.Seemed to be in reasonable condition for it's age.He gave me his buisness card,his name is Phil Frederic and mobile no.is 0413484392 if you want to give him a call.Regards Paul Dolan

Jack_Lives_Here

Michael,

Saw this one on another site.

McGINN CANE RODS
    C.A. McGinn Split Cane Fly Rods. Callum McGinn 3rd Generation Split Cane Fly Rod Maker. All rods made to exacting high standard and fitted with Nickel Silver ferrules and reel seats.

Address: 33 Jewett Road, Kureelpa, QLD 4560
    Phone: 07 5441 3459 Fax: 07 5441 3459

Thanks for the info guys ill chase up that fellow from the markets and see what hes got to offer. once ive tried using split cane on those trout i might fork out the dollars and buy a decent new one. And Wes ill give you a cast one day.
    cheers
    Michael

There's one being auctioned on ebay at the moment. Not sure how old it is. Current bid $275

Have you thought about building your own from scratch? ???. There's a site called www.globalflyfisher.com thats got a pretty detailed rundown on everything from selecting the right cane to glueing it up etc. Might be worth a look .

Fly'n'hi Chris