Thread: need help

need help

Hi guys i am going to awoonga dam for barra fishing first of november, I would like some advice what flies to use and any hot locations since this is my first for barra fishing i have no idea what to do, any help is very apreciated thanks in advance.
    vince.

Re: need help

Hi Vince,I did the same thing last year,still got the scare from the line burn,its fun on fly even when you don"t land it.
    When you get a permit the rangers will draw a mud map
    and point you to some spots to try,on the moon you can fly just about around the clock,it is a windy place at times, also a line weight up might help and an old ones if you have any,espect to scew a line,every one uses intermediates,a floater to pop if you do.

I used slab flys black/gold ,green/silver on 4os,3ds are better with rattels,lots of flash ,weed gaurds and work it slow as possible,last year I used a perfection loop to attach my fly, next time I will crimp then on and run 50 lb or 60 lb leader strait to the fly line is what some do.

Also I thought of some tape on the cork to stop the line dammageing the cork,theres some big fish caught in tight snags as I see it a 50/50 chance to get them out and a lot of the snags are 6to12inch stumps with 5to10 foot of regrowth which these lazey fish sit in at times,were ever you go what you see above were you fly will be whats under you,fish the shallows and the drop offs, soon you will see it all .

Most of the pepole I talked too worked an area for a good 30mins be for moveing on,and some shake the snags to displace them,to me it was just like chaseing toga,just work your snags hard ,persistence will get you a tight line.
    Last year I was surprized to see some gurus dip out badly ,go with no expectations then a fish is a bonus,once you go once you will be much wiser for it.
    A good reel and a good rod, most fished 10WTs more or less.
    If you leave your boat at the bottom of the park a tarp left over your boat might stop those water hens crapping on your boat all night and if you are camping a big hammer and good tent pegs are a must ,real HARD gound,the park mannager is real good to and will help were he can.
    Hopefully others will respond with more info for you to fill in any gaps,Cheers

Feral
    great post- very informative. I will be there during the first week of nov too, and you have answered a few questions which i was about to ask.

I haven't been there before so i have no idea what to expect.

Thanks

thanks a lot ferral I am glad you mentioned about the camp site problems too, now i know what to expect, are they worst than kingfish? i have fair bit of line burns and line loss to the pylons and rocks from them but i think it will be fun, as long as i hook some, so now that you warned me i am taking only old lines, was going to use sage 8 but i will take an old rod which god knows what rod it is, thanks again ferral.
    cheers vince.

Hey Voltzy,,,,,,,,,,Im going up on the 3rd Nov for a week,got my Hols approved ,,, just got your phone message from 2day,(mate u know Im still asleep at 12). Thanks for the info FerFly. Looks like Id better book a spot for my swag ,,,,,,,,,,,,,Any more info or tips would be appreciated. Taking #10 and #12 and no idea.See yas up there. Matt Q

Hi guys,these fish are like ropping poddy calfs with 6mm rope with no gluves , was how I felt it,these fish are deep in the shoulders like treched out tripple tails.

Also Bennarrby caravan is not far away if all fails with Awwonga accomidation,5 acres of nice grass and a boat ramp to the salty boynne,handy to make the most out of your trip.Cheers