Thread: Starting out

Starting out

Hi there chatters. I'm new to these chat forums so go easy on me.

I've been wanting to get into flyfishing for many years but was always put off by stories of "cost's a heap" and "hard to catch anything in the salt water with a fly". After reading heaps of the convo's in this chat area I've changed my mind.

I haven't bought any gear yet but have been researching heaps. It is a big investment so I want to make sure I start off on the right foot. I was hoping I could get some advice from people who actually fly fish and not a guy who was trying to sell me something in a tackle shop.

I live in the Fremantle area so flathead and bream would start off being my targets in the Swan. I would also expect to chase whiting, herring and maybe even tailor in the open water. I've read Peter Morse's Salt Water Fundamentals and my plan was to start with an 8 wt rod with a size up line (Fremantle Doctor to contend with). Spend heaps on a good quality rod (good brands??) and maybe go cheap on a reel for starters. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Muz

Re: Starting out

Hey i'm new too..been a member since Sept 2001 but this is the third post
    Mate why don't you just buy a good reel first. It should last a life time if you buy one designed to handle the salt with little maintenance. The fishing you describe in Fremantle will hardly see you into the backing often but get one with a a good drag system.
    When looking at rods get something tough. If you frightened to cast clousers or fight fish properly on your $1000 dollar or so Sage whats the point of having it. (what's the price of rods in Australia anyway?)
    I love my Sage #8wt XP rod but have cast cheaper rods including Sage,TFO's,Reddingtons,St Croix and others that are pretty darn good to! What about the Struddies I have heard they are value?
    Also in my opinion you should not buy into the whole shooting head thing when first starting out. Learn with full floating lines and intermediate lines and BTW you do not have to upline. Uplining will help the short fast game however.

Good luck
    Randall

Thanks Randall. I've had advise the rod is the most important part hence my choise to get a good quality one?

You asked how much rods are in Oz. Where are you from??

Sure you have to have castable quality rod but I think its more important to have a rod you are not frightened to use or break (Ive only broke one rod and that was only a month or so ago, a T&T 12 weight used since I first started SWFF). Also rods aint all the same expensive or cheap. For example I have a #10 weight Powell rod that I cast like shit because it has a slower action . Its not the rods fault but mine. The rod is important but you are the one in the drivers seat..get one to suit you..Make sense or am I babbling?
    The reel holds the line and BTW crappy line wont get you very far either. Do not waste money on cheap reels get a good one first you cant go wrong. Never used a Felty but heard they are another value reel in Australia(South African made). My mate at Cape York swears by the quality and catches more fish on them than he has hot dinners.
    Born and bred in Brisbane but have lived in the USA for the past 5 years..as for what is available and how much flyfishing equipment costs in OZ I have no idea.
    There will be plenty of good advice from the locals on this board regarding affordable quality gear.

Cheers
    Randall

Welcome Muz,good to hear you want to take up swoffen in the salt,even in a windy place.
    A fast action rod is what you really want in the salt,line speed to cut the wind and yes the more you spend on your rod the better and take in account the warrenty of the rod you by its a big factor when investing in salt fly water fishing,clousers,beginners,wind and rod tips do not blend.
    With the reel get the best reel for your budget,cheaper reels in the salt will only dissapoint you one day,theres a lot of big fish oppittunitys in WA,those herring will supprize you fly and tailor in the shallows go off,most of all get a large arber reel faster retreve and keeps your line in better condicion.
    When it comes time to by an outfit try a few rods to give you an a better feel on makeing your mind up,and try different lines ,some brands suit some rods better than others,and if they want let you try lines out, there not the place to buy.

The first fish is the hardest,do not give up because of the docter,it might blow all day so think about nights,
    and the more practice you do the faster and better your skills develope the more fish you will catch and learning to tie your own fly is the other side of the dark side.
    Cheers for now, .

Muz,

I fish the river (Swan) a lot (fly only) and would be happy to give what advice I can, I also sell tackle so feel free to take my advice with a pinch of salt. 9279 1626

The Saltwater Fly Club would be well worth a visit if you can make it. The next meeting is on Tuesday night (7th) at the rowing club which is opposite the Raffles Hotel next to the Canning Bridge. starts at 7pm and you would be more than welcome.

Regards,

Chris Dunham.

Thanks Chris. I didn't know there was a club. I was couldn't make the meeting but can you let me know if there is another one organised? I'm away with work so I'll contact you when I return.

Thanks Ferral and Randall for your advise too.

Boat show this weekend in Mandurah. Wonder if they'll have any good specials???

Just thought I would add my 5cents worth.

As long as you buy a reasonable rod, you will be fine. I would tell anyone who would listen that casting lessons and an average rod will get you miles ahead compared with the best rod and little idea of what you are doing (wrong).

I have not had lessons as such, but having some great casters point out some of my faults, I have overcome them for the most part thanks to practicing carefully. my 9 and 10 weight rods are only relatively cheap (both are Penn Internationals - less than $300 each). I must admit that the rod I am currently in the process of obtaining is a little more luxurious: a T&T Horizon, custom built with all the trimmings. Unneccessary maybe, but it will be nice!

Cheers

Adam