Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Monster longtail on fly

Re: Monster longtail on fly

Shame-Shame-Shame,DR.Shane,now what is every one to think about all your research now.

Wes, this is for your brother. I posted this here a little while ago. It's either a yellowfin or a big eye, but I think the former. It was around 28 kilos and was caught up in Kiribati. We were surface casting deceivers, (see next photo) but in very deep water off the atoll, so the fish just sounded once hooked. When it stopped diving it was just a matter of winding it back up. Most unexciting tuna I've caught except for the size. The rod was a nautikos 9#.
    cheers
    J

Deceiver used up in Kiribati..this was like the old patterns we used to tie then (four or five years ago)...blue and white deceivers basically but sometimes wih extra flash, and somtimes without the feathers, sometimes with. How tuna flies have changed!
    cheers
    J

Dr_Shane_Griffiths

Geez I didn't realise such bad grammar could get me into so much trouble. Let me apologise for misleading. The title should have had a question mark, just to raise some attention, and I must admit now that the text is very amgiuous being written in haste. Yes, my Dad is a keen fly fisho and wanted a longtail on fly but the fish were NOT taken on fly, but live slimies. All other details are correct.

Following on from some of your responses:
    - although we could see the longtails feeding, they seemed closely associated with pods of feeding frigate mackerel. We caught 5 fish (19-23kg) on sunday using the same method.
    - the 29kg fish is extremely valuable for research and I estimate that it may be in the order of 12-15 years old, possibly older. We'll see in due course.

Once again I apologise for the misleading post.

Shane.

Shane, thats a great effort picking up LTs that size, how many more fish do you need to finish the research?

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Shane_Griffiths
    Hi Guys,

I took my Dad out to try and collect longtails for the CSIRO research. He's never caught one on fly before and was wrapped when he got a 14kg fish. Not satisfied, he nailed this monster 29kg fish. It will be very interesting to see how old this fish is. We got this one off Bribie and we have hit quite a few 20kg+ fish lately so get out there! Just a hint though, we haven't seen a single longtail on the surface when we've hit them. So they are there lurking around.

Cheers,

Shane
    Looks pretty straight foward to me.....

Toddy

Bit of a slip up for someone with letters after their name and fronting a contentious study.

I wonder if potential fish donors will be discouraged....

Jack_Lives_Here

Mmmmm ??? ??? ambiguous no - deceiving yes.

Oh well, Shane's a fishermen like the rest of us and maybe stretched the truth a little.
    There are plenty of others who do the same, exaggerating numbers of fish as well as size, particularly if they have done rather poorly and caught bugger all.
    Can't look bad in their mates eyes, can they?
    There are some very well known writers who have done the same. No names but there are a few- you'd be surprised

OOoorrr c'mon there fisheasy surprise us mate. Name the names and give up the guff....

Cheers
    Randall

Couldn't do that - some of my bestest of buddies are on the list.
    What's the ol' saying. What happens on the boat stays on the boat

Finnie

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Shane_Griffiths
    Hi Guys,

I took my Dad out to try and collect longtails for the CSIRO research. He's never caught one on fly before and was wrapped when he got a 14kg fish. Not satisfied, he nailed this monster 29kg fish. It will be very interesting to see how old this fish is. We got this one off Bribie and we have hit quite a few 20kg+ fish lately so get out there! Just a hint though, we haven't seen a single longtail on the surface when we've hit them. So they are there lurking around.

Cheers,

Shane
    Jeez I dunno Toddy. All it says is that he's never caught one on fly before and was wrapped when he caught a fish. Doesn't actually say the fish was caught on fly........ambiguous sure, but I'd rather give fishers the benefit of the doubt (maybe next time I get a bit overexcited telling a fishy story over a couple of stubbies they'll do the same for me!).

Cheers,
    Finnie

Finnie,the title of the post is 'Monster longtail on fly'.
    Read the post out loud and ask yourself how it sounds.Also,would anybody have questioned the capture if somebody else hadn't posted the same photos on another site saying exactly how the fish were caught?
    I think not.They would still be slapping the Doc on the back.

Toddy

Finnie

Fair enough Toddy.......still mate, a question mark here and a comma there and you have a whole different story.......granted they weren't in there, but I'll still give the big-fella the benefit of the doubt.

I don't feel especially mislead.....but then again I'm still trying to catch my first flatty on fly, so the longtails are pretty safe for the time-being!!!

I'll drop a picture in here when I get one (going to have a go this weekend I think, a flatty, not a longtail!), and you can let me know what you think.

Cheers,
    Finnie

Most of your Photes discust me ??? > What is the use in a dead Longtail? It's not like there a good tuna to eat. A daed longtail is useless to everyone.