Thread: Flies target quality fish??

Flies target quality fish??

I was out in the southern moreton bay yesterday (11/11) when I came across some schools of chopper tailor working the surface. Initially the fish weren't interested in the clousers I was tossing at them, so I switched to metal slugs for a while. Caught a stack of small choppers, eventually I got bored and went back to the fly. This time I started catching fish and most were a much better size. We're talking kilo fish here though - not big greenbacks or anything, but I was wondering if anyone has had similar experience. My theory is that the fly attracts less attention as it drifts past the small fish on the surface down to the larger ones below. The lure is larger and more flashy so it gets followed down by the smaller tailor. I was hoping that the technique might get me onto some mackeral or tuna hanging around underneath, but not on this occasion.
    Thoughts anyone?

Re: Flies target quality fish??

yes I had the same problem once, they wouldn't take the fly there was tailor every where, but as soon as i changed to metal they would hit it strait away, as you said I got sick of it changed back to fly but didn't have the luck you had, I was in the broadwater the current was so fast couldn't keep the fly down.maybe better luck next time .
    cheers vince.