Thread: BONEFISH V STRIPER TAPER

SNELLY

BONEFISH V STRIPER TAPER

My 9wt SA Striper taper Intermeadiate line is nearing the end of its useful life and I'm very happy with it.

Anyone want to comment on the pros and cons of the SA Bonefish taper in comparison

Cheers SNELLY

Re: BONEFISH V STRIPER TAPER

The bonefish taper is alot longer than the striper,,so a bonefish line wont cast as bigger flies and may take 1 or 2 more backcasts for a delivery, but will cast more accuratly and land more nicely(and maybe a bit further).For alround Oz fishing the Striper is my pic,,,Until Rio put out a sinking Clouser taper.MQ

SNELLY

Matt, Thanks for that - Probably like to stick to a line that can deliver the bigger flies - had not considered the fact the bonefish flies are generally smaller

JON

Snelly,

Have a look at the Scientific Angler site
    http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/sc..._ms-salt.jhtml

The Bonefish is a presentation flyline with a 45 foot head(100 foot total) which allows the flyline to keep in the air for delicate and accurate casts.

The Striper has a short 38 foot head(120 foot total) and thin running line for quick and long casts. I'd recommend the tropical version for FNQ.

You may consider Rio's new intermediate Tarpon. This is the intermediate version of the Clouser flyline. My mate Scotto of the Alpine Angler has some of these lines in 8-9#. I've got a 11# in the mail.

Wes #

SNELLY

Wes, I'm onto that one I have a 9wt RIO on the way. Sounds like it's a great line and just what I need for the work I do up here.

Cheers JON

Just come back from a few days in Tassie trouting with Peter Morse. During discussions about chasing tuna and Goldies in Hervey Bay, Peter was recomending the longer Bonefish weight forward intermediate line for longer casts and better presentation. Yet to try one myself.