Thread: Mulloway

Mulloway

Anyone here serious about mulloway on fly?

I have caught two and was wondering what flies and techniques others are using for this species.

Jack_Lives_Here

Re: Mulloway

Well done bloke. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
    I'm keen to give them a go - just been too busy. Were you fishing structure, day time, night etc etc etc. ??? ???

I been fishing from a jetty on SA's yorke peninsula. The water is clear, the school is big and the best part......its sight fishing. Both of mine were caught on a 1/0 FPF type thing.

Jack_Lives_Here

Sight fishing jewies MMMMMMMMMMMMM [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

I think the only shot I'd have is at night around bridges etc.

Sightfishing for jewies is probably pretty uncommon, dont know of anywhere else besides where I go that it can be done.

I know of someone who fishes a bridge in an estuary and catches plenty of jewies. He catches them any time of day or night on his prefferred tide.

Dont know if it would be the same fishing blind though after my previous experiences.

Let me know if you give em a go. Even if you dont get any.

Heres a picture of the first one I got on fly, as you can see it was caught just as the sun was going down

In the photo above, the grip og the rod tasted like mulloway slime

Here is my othr mulloway on fly, it was caught in the morning.

Nice work, [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] Id love to get 1 on fly but just cant put the effort in.I dont think we have the numbers in SEQ as further down sth,Im probly wrong but its my excusse. Congrats to ya. MQ

Jack_Lives_Here

Bloody rippers [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
    Yeh know about that slime on the cork and put the rod in the mouth for a photo thing - YUUUCK.
    Maybe Satyrday night Quinny????

I'm going for jew tomorrow night. Been reefing em in on bait, but flies have gone untouched. Just tied up some big FPFS and bombers the other night, even a massive Fat Albert with a tube for inserting a glow stick.

I've had only one bite on fly so far from jews

That slime smells funny too- sorta like gar or mullet dipped in kero!

Nathan

Dont be too concerned with big flies with jewies unless they are big ones. The biggest fly shown below is the one I caught my two on. Not as flashy as a normal FPF, it was tied on a 1/0 Mustad Big Gun.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers

Adam

Gee that picture came up bigger than I expected!

Just trying to adjust my picture sizing - also these flies work on mulloway.

Cheers

Adam