Thread: Fly on Dunk?

Fly on Dunk?

Hi all,

Heading up to Dunk Island for a holiday and wondering if anyone knows if it is worth packing the rod for some local fishing. Will definately get out for a charter, but not sure if you can fish the beach.

..Anyone ?
    Regs,
    Beefa.

Harry_In_Toowoomba

Re: Fly on Dunk?

Mate, you can indeed fly fish from the beach and other easy to access spots around the island.......take that fly rod and a bucket load of flies with a bit of flash for some fun with boring species such as GT's, Queenies, Macks, barra and Jacks. Hell if that gets boring, there's always stuff like coral trout and sailfish a few k's away on a charter boat........................

Cheers,
    Harry

G'day Beefa.
    I managed to smuggle 5 rods in on my honeymoon on Dunk a few years back. Definitely worth tossing them in. Just off the right hand end of the jetty there is a large bommie and there were fish busting up over this for most of the day and tide cycle. It was a little hard fly fishing off the jetty due to the overhead gantry (or I think it may have been a sign or something) at about 2.4 meters above the jetty, gawkers and the hight of the jetty off the water.
    But I did manage a couple of nice golden trevs and a tarpon or three casting a DOA prawn about. They were also quite partial to a silver rattlin' spot so pack one of those.
    A young bloke got a barrra about 60cm casting along the jetty with a gold bomber too. There was a sportfishing charter that links up with Dunk from Mission beach too, but I can't remember the name.

There are hire boats on Dunk for $100/day (bimini top, 6hp and about 3.8m or so - planes ok). We did a bit of casting from the boat around the large rocks over the back of the south Island (Baramunga Island or something like that) and lost a nice fish. There is also a very deep channel/drop off on the souther side of this island.

The beach is mud/coral at low tide but at high there were some large fish tailing in very shallow although I had to walk with what's-her-name hand in had with a drink at this time of the arvo. She must have been able to tell I was looking/leering at these fish instead of her because she gave me a nudge #; )

Good luck!

Great joint - look out for the "seafood night" - It nearly killed me!

Thanks for the replies guys... better start loading up on some flies !!!
    I have yet to christen my rod (in fact i'm still a fly virgin) so if i dont pop my cherry up there, then i may just have to give up.... or not

Will they cook the fish for you if i decide to keep one ??

Thanks again,
    Beefa.

yep beefa - but ask 'em first anyway

Cheers, Slates