Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginners SWF

SNELLY

Re: Beginners SWF

The dacron that I use is a special flyline backing - I get it locally from erskines - You may have something like cortland micron - what ever you use make sure that it is rot proof

If its called "fly line backing" itll be dacron for sure,Like Snelly said wind that on then get another spool of 100yrds Micron or even better(the best) 150yrds of 30lb or 50lb Bionic, put a big double in the end via a Bimini Twist(they aint that hard, I can do em) "loop 2 loop"this to the braided loop on the end of your fly line.The line should fit nicly on top and fill the spool.,,,,confused?In your neck of the woods you may need every mtr of that backing too. good luck MQ

I'm not sure whether I should answer this lot, there appears to be a culture out there that I don't understand but in for 5 cents in for a dollar.
    Fy rods are just another fishing method, its all fishing tackle but rather than you using other gear and hucking heavy lures and sinkers with fly tackle you use a very light lure and an elongated sinker called a fly line. Anyway these fly rods and lines are rated by a mob called the AFTMA, the american fly tackle manufacturers Assoc. The rating, for rods and lines is related to a thing called a double taper line, which is a level line about 80 feet long with a taper at each end. Quite useless for salt water.
    The weight or rating of the line is related to the weight of the first 30' of that DT line, the level portion. They say this line whatever is a 9# or whatever and the rod to cast it must also be a 9#. So they say.
    But there are snags to this thing, firstly casting a DT line means that to load the rod properly you need more than that 30 feet, in fact it casts around 45 feet, which means that the rod load is 1.5 times the rating.
    The lines on uses in the salt are usually weight foward lines, lines with a 30 odd feet head, and a long thin running line at the back. When you get this thing for a rod you have to remember that ideally the right weight is 1.5 times the rating, so for your 9# rod you really need a 10# line. One weight up.There are other ideas that suggest a 11# line on a 9# rod iif the head is 30'.
    Having got that far, you can use up to 10kg tippets so your backing line is not much chop at 20lb, so you need 30lb backing and if the fish are smallish you can get away with dacron but if they get bigger you need thinner lower water drag backing, like GsP, bionic braid or other stuff.
    You will need a reel, and forget LA reels, what you want to do is get a standard arbor reel about 4 inches in diameter, to get a good one, try a Felty. They work.
    A Rod get a Templefork outfitters
    To learn to cast is not hard, because if you up line the rod you can get away with just a backcast and a foward cast, which you should use anyway because you will catch nothing with the fly woffling around in the air. Most SWF fishing is done, or should be with a sinking line, or at least one with a sinking tip because we don't use dry flies and salt water fish are not trout.
    But get a book or two and digest them, Morsies book on SWF is OK, At least you get an idea about the method, the jargon and how to put things together. Most shopkeepers know stuff all about the requirements for SWF so find yourself a club somewhere and beat a few brains on the subject.
    Expect to get into a grand, for rod, good reel, backing and lines and flies to start with. You get nothing for nothing, believe me there are no free rides in fishing tackle, If you got a fly outfit for 100 buks, it probably cost the dealer 50 and he paid a guy who was also making 50% so it probably hit the shore at 20 buks flat. Or maybe 10 buks. Good gear that.
    The best value for money in rods are TFO, here and world wide and the best locally availably reel is a Felty. Be good, have fun but its just another method of catching fish. You will catch more on your baitcaster. Max

ok. can now tell u what brand the rod and reel is.

reel is a JW - Jarvis walker BR2400 Red classic design (blackridge)
    rod is Jarvis Walker - Drift Wood 9' 10wt.

anyone have any experience with any of these products. #

Good luck, you can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink ,do not load your backing to tight you may spread it after a while,it will do fo a start ,i caught my first fish on with one,wouldn"t go tuna fishing with it ,learn on it, fish with it and the first person you see in the paddock with a fly rod in his hand ask for a cast and see what your missing out on ,but you have to learn to cast on that rod first and you will feel and see the differance ,it will make you a better caster and will help in your next up grade,Cheers

well. after searching like mad on teh internet and not finding any useful information on how to cast and setting up the outfit. i thought i'd just drive 5min up the road to the Catch - A - Barra fishing park.... fly only.

giving them $40 for about 2 - 3 hours of tuition... they will help set up my rod, help me to cast on the lawn, then take me onto the lil ponds. using their gear is also included just for a change...

so after x-mass i should be preety much right.