Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flathead flies

Flathead flies

Hi you all
    Plan to chase some flatty around forster [nsw mid coast] around chrissy on my tomthumb.9-10 wt line.What are the best flies/colour's and hooks to use.??
    regards george.

SNELLY

Re: Flathead flies

George,

White or Chartruse/White 2/0 clouser

Cheers SNELLY

fisher

Hey Big George,How ya doin mate.My Fav fly for the lizards is a chartruse and white with a pink hackle spun around the head and make them about 100mm long and don't worry the lizard will find the hook most of the time .The hook can be anything as long as it is sharp but I prefer Gammkatsu SL12S or SS15 in 2/0 or 3/0.Big and pink and white with a chartruse head will get simular result as will straight pink, Lizards love there pink,Hope this helps and ya catch a few ;.Regards Paul

As said above pink works real well,just use lots of flash and flowing matirials,rabbit-marabo ect,and a clouser style is the only way to go and the chartruse and white clouser with bleeding throat and red eyes tied on 1/0 mustad signature tarpon or what ever you got and Iwould tie a couple of black and gold on a bigger hook for deeper waters,good luck .

Thanks guys.
    cheers george.

Brett_Finger

Biggie,
    i run pink and white clousers and chartruce and white clousers.
    Hookin,TBF #

Thanks biggin.
    What about the poly purple clouser????

Brett_Finger

you jsut wait until you get ina poly mate, thay make other sem so loud on the water.(perfect for flats work )
    hookin,TBF

I thought I might show you guys what pink looks like just under the surface is pretty clear water, to a flathead that is, and deeper the worse it gets, and the further away from the fish the fly is the worse it gets.
    Mind you the greener the water, like in estuaries the worse it gets and it makes you wonder if its the pink, or the blue grey or just the contrast against the water ceiling. VBG. Cheers Gigfella hows it going, no stick yet. Max

Brett_Finger

max,
    it shouldn't take a week,i'll see if i can track it down today.
    what is the last colour to dissapeer in the water mate?
    Hookin,Brett

SNELLY

HEY TBF - I reminded you about that stick several months ago

Brett_Finger

things are slow in Bundy fella,wedon't rush things.
    Hookin,TBF

Arrived this am. Nice rod case, will be useful. Last colour, in ocean, blue, in green water green, in mud red. Depends on depth, colour, that is partical content, and mud quantity.
    What you see of the water, the colour you are looking at detirmines the colour filter in place.
    But visible limit is important, in ocean 400 feet odd, in green water 150 feet in mud 10 feet'
    Its like this 1 meter under the surface only 45% of the light remains in clear water. In green water only 45% remains at 1.5 feet and in mud 45% remains after about 1".
    Very variable stuff water. White or black best colours. In mud gold Silver great in most water. Hows that. Look at www.hotbite.com.au articles miscellaneous, "sight in the sea", twice. Max
    Pic is for dirty water, 1.5 feet depth difference.

Brett_Finger

Thanks Mate.
    Glad the package arrived safe,the PO told me it was due today,very interisting the colour thing mate,i'l go have a look at that site tonight.
    Hookin,Brett

thanks every one from ausfish with help.
    regards george.