Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BONES at noosa.....???????

Re: BONES at noosa.....???????

I noticed there was an article in Western Angler about that Ningaloo bone but I haven,t read it. I do know that it was an incidental catch though. I dont think that you can compare a fish the size of the average bonefish to a nice sized flats trevally (although I am not really qualified to say as I have caught neither).

Congratulations to young Ben. It may not be a big specimen, but it is a bonefish!

Cheers

Adam

There have been quite a lot of reports of bonefish taken along the ocean beaches (S.E. Qld) on baits (pippies, worms) however you'd be wasting your time with fly in this neck of the woods. Most recent report I heard was from three weeks ago up at Rainbow Beach. Fellow I know caught two in front of the coloured sands.
    I've got a 90cm cast of a bone caught from the reefs north of Fraser from 30m of water on squid a couple of years back - bait or fly, they sure do pull hard!

Harry_In_Toowoomba

It's not surprising that we're becoming more aware of the presence of bones in Australia with word spreading via the electonic media, more magazines etc.

I can remember 2 of the largest bonefish i've seen including pictures etc. They were in crates at the Bamaga Ice Works in October 1991. Caught by cast netters inside the bay at the tip of the Cape apparently.

There's also been several sightings of fish in the 45-60cm range on and just off flats south of Cairns in the mid 90's, but no idea if these were caught by anyone on lines. A bloke i was talking to back then (trawler deckie)said they were fairly common bycatch in the trawlers working in close to shore in the same area in water between 25 & 40 ft off the flats. Might explain a few times i got done over ( ie Mugged and stripped of 200yds of line) while whitting fishing the flats with yabbies with 2kg line.

Cheers all
    "Harry"

wretch

i remember a guy trying to bribe me a milkfish spot for an apparent Bone spot on bribie, did'nt take any notice and definately did'nt give him the spot for milks, but makes u wonder, its not like bribie has'nt got the right type of bottom/banks etc to hold bones.
    Nic

In 1990, a old friend of mine said that he caught a bone in Exmouth gulf on a 200lb hand line. He said it weighed 25lb and was very big. I didn't see a pic of it but I know they are there. Guy from South Africa caught 2 6lb bones off Camp Rock at Cuvier on squid bait. He also caught a 20lb GH off the same spot.
    Tony Cranstons son got his at Gnaraloo, next station up from Quobba.
    Bones have been caught on handlines in Shark Bay quite regularly, and at Exmouth. I know they are around the Yardie Creek area, aka Ningaloo and some spots on Cardabia Station look likely for bones.
    Its just that we don't have the Florida flats. Max

There were 15 caught of Grt Keppel recentlly( a couple of mnts ago). apparenttly 1 was 93cm ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thats nearly a mtr of Bonefish. I just read this in 1 of the local fishin mags, in the gladstone report. MQ

Have discussed the possibility of bones off Bribie with Harro a number of times. General opinion is that with all the activity from netter and local fishing fraternity they would be extremely spooky if they were there.

Have seen a small one caught on the noosa north shore area on bait in between whiting, but that was a while ago.

Went looking for them off gilligans island, the water, current, dropoffs and food supply seem perfect. Will keep trying there but up to now have only caught GT's, mackeral, cobia, flathead, bream, squire, Longtails and a few unknown nasty looking things that were given a free fly for their trouble rather than testing out their spines.

At least it is something to aim for.

Hi stilltryin,
    Good to to see your targeting them. Wouldn't the flyfishing chat go crazy if one was caught down here at Bribe or Fraser Is on fly. . On the subject of bones, does any body know there movements or habits. Do they live in the deep water ? Do they only come on the flats to feed on the flood tide ? Is only acertain time of the year they would show up ?Any info would be great !
    Regards Steve

About a year or 2 my mate Andy caught a double header while fishing for whiting at Kawana in the surf (2 at once for those who aren't sure what a double header is). Fairly sure but not posative that he also caught another one the same day. It would be great if we could get a record of these fish getting caught on bait to try to work out when the schools will be coming thru certain areas. Food for thought. Time to keep the ears open.
    Bill [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif]

G'day all, reading these posts about Bones always gets me interest up, I have been reading that a group of folks from Florida are starting to do some research on Mr. Bone and from what little data they have think they spawn in deep water but don't know for sure. The Florida flats are good but very few are wadeable and the large amount of people have made the Bones way to smart, the best walking place I have been is South Caicos about 75 square miles of hard flats and many, many Bones but it's about $2700-$3000 American dollars from Miami, so that limits my visits to about every other year.
    Good luck with your Bonefishing.

Good evening Steve.
    From my homework, in SE Queensland the best time to target Bonefish is in October and May with the bar is 1030mb or above, this usually comes with a series of South Easters.

Or I should say, this is when most are seen or caught.
    Hope this little bit helps some one catch a Bonefish on fly here in SEQ.

Now, think and ask your self why chase a little quick fish when we have beautiful Tuna, Tevas and others ?

Kind regards.
    Uncle Barry.

Hi Barry,
    I chase tuna three or four days a week.When i'm not chasing them,i'm up at noosa chasing trev''s, jack's etc.A think a capture of a bonefish would be a great capture in our waters.And another for the speicies list caught on fly.
    Thanks for the info rlbgfish173,Barry.
    Regards steve

Good morning Steve.
    You can also add to the Bonefish puzzel, only seen or caught on a filling tide, behind or with Whiting schools, never seen by themselves, within 10meters of a gutter.

And you think will think they look like Whiting cruising/feeding.
    So in conclusion, cast to all Whiting because they are not all Whiting.

And to answer the question why local Whiting fishes don't catch Bonefish, some do and say nothing.
    And many just think, wow that one went fast, I am busted off, rerig and cast again. Because the Bones are too fast for most people, not to get busted off.

Hope this helps your Quest.
    Regards.
    Barry.

Hey nau Q,
    When and where is the next DBBF meeting going to be held.?
    Kilkenny...