Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BONES at noosa.....???????

BONES at noosa.....???????

Hi all,
    Heard a report that a bonefish was caught at noosa northshore last week.Buy a surf fisherman . A freind of mine went chasing them but to no avail. .Makes you think out side our normal flyfishing ????

Re: BONES at noosa.....???????

I have heard there are plenty of bonefish in australia. They just happen to be in the most inconvenient place for flyfishers(in deeper water)usually. You do hear the occasional report, I read about one being caught on bait near sydney a few years back.

Not surprised that one was caught around Noosa, was it a surf beach or a wadeable , flats style beach? Keep us posted if you find anything new

Cheers

Adam

Hi adam,
    Apparently it was caught in a surf gutter on the beach.I was told there was a whole school of them.Also there was a capture of a bonefish caught on bait at moolooaba beach some years back . Once again,probally an accidental capture.(right place at the right time).Talking to a fellow flyfisher last night ,he also heard the same report.Has anybody else ever heard of any bonefish caught in australia?????

Plenty have been caught. Over 4kg+ on bait. Not sure how many on the fly though. Plenty of potential for them at the top of Fraser, Rodds Peninsular and the Whitsundays before you start getting into the potential of FNQ.

Jack_Lives_Here

Yeh heard of Fraser captures. The Flylife #28 issue had a readers pic and small article from the beaches of Ningaloo WA.

Hi dave,
    Was that on fly,at fraser island
    regards steve

Jack_Lives_Here

Nah bait. Some guy bragging about the HUGE whiting he caught up the cape.
    There's the challenge Steve [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

The 1 from Syd Habour was caught by a marine biolagest goin for a fish after work. Was caught out of a berly trail on a pice of pilly. The dude from WA who sent a pic to flylife a couple of mnts back is the only confermed capture I know of. Of course Voltzys mate, (the Deceptionbay Bonefisher) has caught heaps from all over the place, just never remembers to bring pics .......Quinny

Hi dave,
    Doing a few trips up there this year chasing longtails. might have to keep my eye's open on the flats. .
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by Quinny69
    Of course Voltzys mate, (the Deceptionbay Bonefisher) has caught heaps from all over the place, just never remembers to bring pics .......Quinny
    hahaha- you beat me too it , I was actually thinking of putting the same sledge on you when I read the original post. I should get along to one those fly flogger meetings and meet DBBF- he sounds like a guru.

Quinny, your uncle, barry, had a fair bit of info regarding bones in the broadwater. Maybe you 2 should set up your own little "boneheads" trip. thats tops.

Jack_Lives_Here

If I spot old mate (DBFF), I'll make sure I pass on both your regards [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Well Tony Cranstons son. like 14 caught a bone on fly at Gnaraloo a week or so ago. But they are all over the place, but not a lot of Florida type flats to catch them on. Cheers Max

must admit that up to 1 month ago i had the Bone Bug..cured it on Penrhyn Island..but compared to a 20lb Golden Tevally in the shallows bones are pretty ho hum... why are we all hung up on Bones????/ when we have got things like goldies and even longtails on our flats..

Hi rob,
    It's funny how we seem to want to chase things(bonefish)out of our normal reach.Must be good hype or advertising in magazines,when we read the story's that are written.But you are right we have the best fishing right on our doorstep.Like that golden you caught on that day at arch's 20-30 ft from the shoreline
    reards steve

Yes Max Ben did manage a bone on fly............. out fished a lot of more expirienced guys on that trip!