Thread: Bonefish/Tarpon

Bonefish/Tarpon

OK If i had two weeks to go tarpon/bonefishing, where would be the best place?

And I am looking to travel anywhere in the world...I know the bonefish are picky and hard to catch but it would be alot of fun....

Any ideas?

R

Re: Bonefish/Tarpon

Rosso,
    If I had 2 weeks to go for Bones & Tarpon I would go where I am headed in 3 weeks, Belize. I believe that Belize has the best combo of Bones & Tarpon anywhere. Florida has bigger fish but also MUCH bigger crowds on the flats. Belize has amazing resident Tarpon fishing and fun Bones. The Bones generally aren't big but are fun with a light rod. There is also the best Permit fishing in the world there. It is a Fantastic place and I would highly recommend it. I am going on a liveaboard with a mate. We fish 12 hours a day for whatever you want, it is amazing.
    Another place I would place high on my list is Cuba. They also have a very good liveaboard trip and their cigars are the best!
    Let me know if I can be of more help, I have been to alot of Bone/Tarpon destinations.
    Brian H.

SNELLY

Rosso,

Have a look at www.tflats.com I was looking at going there but would like to make some further enquiries before committing my hard earned. Sounds good though a good chance of a "Grand Slam" according to their site.

JON

woo...

Interesting site. Yes...interesting indeed.

The best part of it is the fact that the belizian dollar is 65c $AU

Now to work out the cost of getting over there...(and how long!)

Thanks.

SNELLY

Rosso,

I asked my local Flight Centre and from Cairns to Miami A$1920- plus Miami to Belize A$519-

There are a couple of other choices but this seemed the best

SNELLY

Jon,
    Turneffe Flats is a wonderful lodge right on the reef. The bonefish flats are very close by and they are beautiful flats. The Tarpon fishing is limited to April-October. The Permit fishing can be very good in April-May. The Bones are very plentiful but can be difficult to fool. I know the best guide there so if you end up going let me know.
    The cost of Turneffe Flats is the same as the liveaboard we are doing. If you are going with your wife, go to Turneffe. If you are going by yourself or with a mate, the liveaboard will have better fishing.
    We are getting a 40ft. Sea Ray with a cook and a Captain/guide. The boat tows a flats boat and you can fish hard, 12 hours a day if you like. The big Tarpon (100-150 pounds) fishing is very good from the liveaboard. The Permit fishing is the best in the world. Bones are just a filler. The cost for the boat is $5,200 US for 2 people. They also have a bigger boat that will accomodate 4 people. Let me know if you want info. on the liveaboard. Turneffe Flats will run you about the same, about $2,600 per person double occupancy, 2 per boat.
    You can't go wrong in Belize. The sight fishing is unbelievable and something you should experience. Besides, your Ozzie dollar is almost as strong as ours right now!!
    Let me know if you need any other info. Bringing the right flies to Belize can make a big difference!
    Cheers,
    Brian H.

SNELLY

Brian, Thanks for that - After looking at the site I figured that the first week in Sept would be best because it is cheaper then and also reasonable times for all three species , so I would have a good shot at a Grand Slam. Since I have a few things on this year including my intended attendance at the Saltwater Challenge in Darwin in Sept I'm going to aim at 2005

Anybody else interested to go in 2005 ?

I'd love to fish Florida one day.

Hommassa, Little Pine Key etc, saltwater flyfishing equivalent to Lords(cricket), Wimbledon(tennis), St Andrew(golf).

Costa Rica, Belize, Cuba, Mexico would be great too.

Was planning to go to Cuba via Mexico later this year(100,000 Frequent flyer points to Cancun, Mexico). Was planning a week at Cayo Largo Cuba, chasing a grand slam(Bonefish, Tarpon, permit) drinking rum, smoking cigars(just like Hemmingway). Must get there before Castro kicks the bucket and Communism falls and all the Yanks get over there(it's illegal for them) and destroy the place. Another week at Isla Holbox Mexico chasing 100+lb Tarpon. The other guys pull out

If you want to chase bonefish, there are a few around the South Pacific. Tahiti, New Caledonia, Christmas Island - Kiribati.

Bonefish aren't too difficult, and great fun. I fished for them at Christmas Island Kiribata(3hr flight from Hawaii) a few years ago.

With the weak US$, it may be time to head back. They use Aussie $(national currency), serve VB and speak English, so it not too bad.

Wes

G'day all, I'll add my .02 cents, Snelly I just saw your e-mail and have not fished T flats but have heard good and bad it's a time of the year thing. You have to be careful in Sept. as that is Hurricane season. I live about 4 hours north of the Keys and the best advise is to hire a good guide because unless you live there, it's a hard place to get to know. A good guide can make your trip, but there is the average $400/ day charge.
    As for Bones the Keys have some big boys but they are not stupid and some big tarpon and permit for that slam.
    Our Tarpon season is May-Sept. but no Bones, I like the Turks and Caicos for Bonefish my best was 9 lb. and I saw an 11 lb. landed. If any of you do get to FL give me a yell and maybe we can hook up for a fish.
    Keep in touch.
    Pat

Been reading Saltwater fly fishing fior 5years now,and from what ive read most of us mighten be up to it, lots of prepperation is need to have a good time in states for bones and poons its a lot of money for guides and pemits and pemits,just to get a shot a the only poon you and the guides seen in days and you blow the shot ,some as bones ,its just like jack fishing hear 90% of jacks are caught by only a few constintly,same applies for bones and poons same thing for permit,to me its just like going to hervey bay for trevally,and some that chase them no the deal now,sometimes you do and lots of times you dont,same thing in bone and poon land were ever you go, you see there are guides in many areas in the states and some areas hold differant size fish some target 60 to 100 pound poons and some100 to 180plus so theres one thing to think of in the poons case and simmiler for bones,

And guides can cost 350 to 450 US aDAYand if i could i would go to
    Floridas west coast and book Captian Russ shirly for 4-5 days
    Cheers

If you want to see Turneffe first hand have a look at "A River Somewhere 2" last episode. They fish for bones mainly but also get some nice cuda and a lone hookup with a little 'poon.

cheers, Justin

SNELLY

Justin,

Thanks for that - I can vaguely remember that one now - I'll get a hold of a copy of the show

Thanks JON