Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A day with Randall

fisher

A day with Randall

I had a great day on the water with Randall Bryett from gofishaustralia on Wednesday.It started out a bit slow with the nor wester blowin but when it turned to nor east things changed a bit.He ended up with 3 mac tuna 1 spottie mac and a very nice Longie all on the wand and we had some good laughs for the day.Really wanted to put him onto a golden but was'nt to be, we saw heaps but with the clouds hovering over us it made it very difficult to see the fish until it was to late and they would spook.Just do'nt like the blind casting for them if your gonna catch them the best buzz is seeing them and casting to them, he had a couple of fish turn on the fly only to turn away and refuse them very frustrating but bloody good fun.I've known Randall for a long time but this was the first time I had had a chance to spend a day on the water with him and hopefully will do it again soon.Good fish, Good company Good fun.Paul Dolan

Re: A day with Randall

Paul,

Thanks for the report.

Planning to go up this weekend, but the forecast isn't too hot 15/20 knots N/NW.

Chasing Golden trevally on fly is awesome fun.

Wes

Brett_Finger

Paul,
    good going mate,am sorry i could not manage to hook up with randall this week,but thats the way it goes i suppose.
    nice longie mate! Randy should be rapt!!
    hookin,Brett

fisher

Hi Big Fella,Yeh it's a pitty you did'nt have your rig ready to get him out on the water with you to show him your operation up there in Bundy.I wanted to get him out in the Bay again on Saturday to have another shot at the Goldens on the flats, but with the nor westers predicted I decided to take him out to Lenthalls to show him part of the freshwater options I have here around the bay.We managed to get a dozen or so Bass for the morning with most fish falling to TT's 2 inch shads and the Terminator finess jig and he got one on fly.The dam did'nt fire like I know it can but with the low and wind we had we did Ok. On the way home I took him into Toogoom for a look and he got a couple of pics to take home to the States to show Kate.He was impressed with Lenthalls as a option for when the wind is to strong to get anglers out on the bay,and the fact that there will soon be more Barra and Saratoga there for anglers to target so if they visit here and it is blowing they can still catch some quallity fish.Once again we had some good laughs and a fun day on the water even tough it was blowing about 25+ knots.Paul Dolan

G'day Paul,

Mate what can I say? Thank You, Thank You!! What a couple of fantastic days on the water and back at the ranch. Laugh, crikey we had some giggles, still grinning actually. Your hospitality is overwhelming my friend and it would have been easy to become settled into a constant diet of Fraser Coast fishing. It was hard to leave...
    I want to give you a plug to everyone considering fishing with a guide at Hervey Bay. (I am not blowing wind up yours or anyone elses coight here mate). There will be enough said in the future about the excellent fishing platform you have fitted out and the obvious benefits of using a electric motor on the flats (a real first for me) but I want to mention some other and more important skills you have.

Its always a bit nerve racking for me when fishing with guides whom can out think, out fish and out cast you in most all circumstances. After all its their business and your in their world. Standing upon the front deck with a good fish in sight and bearing down into the casting zone at a rate of knots can create enough pressure to turn all flyfisherman ( beginners to confident) into complete rod flapping spastics. This can be made 100 times worse when your with a guide whom has not got the people skills required when working together on the water. These "people skills" are not just personality based but they also involve the reactions and emotions that occur when one has interaction with a fish. Win, draw or lose in any of the piscatorial encounters you experience whilst fishing, each draws a different emotion from within. Adrenalin heart pounding vein pumping hookups, heart wrenching butt kicking bust offs and ego deflating disappointing fly refusals the guide has to deal with them all just as you do. Paul has a very easy flow that surrounds him and he deals with all the above situations and feelings in a confident knowledgeable manner that I am sure will make all comfortable in even the most highly pressured fishing situations. The understanding and quiet confidence that Paul has is direct reflection of his fishing history. You can not know or do what Paul is capable of without having caught a shitload of fish and of course know how to lose them also. He radiates a boundless enthusiasm for fish, fishing and fisherpersons and his uncanny knack for finding ,sighting and fighting fish is only matched by his efforts and desire for you to catch them too!

What can I say? Why did it take me so long to go fishing with ya!!

All the best mate
    Randall -FKC- Bryett

Scott_Mitchell

Randall:I imagine you recieved the flies and hopefully had a good trip in the NT - how did you go 8)

I fly into Groote this Saturday for a week on the Iron Lady in Blue Mud and sails off SE Cape

Regards Scotto

fisher

Hey Randall,aka- FKC!! Firstly thanks for the kind words mate,it was an absolute pleasure fishing with you having you here for a couple of days. As I said to you, when your in the country again you and Kate are more than welcome to come up and stay here and we'll do it all again.And hopefully the weather will be better with a lot less clouds and wind and I can put you onto a golden[We came real close to it mate] . I personaly have'nt had that many laughs on the water with someone in a while and totally enjoyed putting you in the zone and watching you hookup .I hope you got into some of those fish I told you about down the coast .All the best mate and safe travels.I will be in touch soon.Paul.

That pic of Paul holding the Longy is the best Tuna pic Ive seen, Nice work.

fisher

Yeh Quinny,Randall taught me a thing or two about fish pics,and what you can do away from old fish in front holding it stuff.It's something I want to work on so I can email pics to clients before they even get home.I've done it for a few clients now and they have been very happy with them,gota love these digital cameras.Paul

G'day Paul, very nice work, and Randall, bloody nice fish!! i wish i could score fish like that on fly, i better get back into the art of swishing.. see if i can do better

Tim

G'day,
    Yep Scott got the flies mate and a nice letter from Geoff Skinner. Will get back to you both. There are a few pictures of this trip in the gallery and some short essays on my ############.com site I just added one this morning for shits and giggles Good luck up there!!
    Thanks Quinny, digital photgraphy is the go. Makes even bad camera work look good (the horizon is offset in that pic). Recently I read some post from the west part of this country about digtal photography and magazines...In my opinion if the magazine producers have not already invested in digital they lost their business 5 years ago.
    Zeeke (Tim) get out there mate. That one was a tiddler hey Paul

Cheers
    FKC

tiddler aye.. maybe once ive sorted myself out fly wise ill headout and chase a few longtails.. sposed to get a few around my local waters.. apparently they have a competiton every year for them on fly here..

Tim

fisher

Hey FKC ,Hope ya doin well buddy yeh that one was a tiddler compared to some of the fish we saw that day.Had a good day with Harro and Bjorn Straub on Friday. Saw some nice goldens tailing but could'nt manage to get them to eat but Bjorn was stocked to see it all happening in front of him and they were very pleased with the day.I think he will be talking about it for a while, Considering the wind was about 20kn+and cloudy with showers he had some good shots at them.But thats fishin you can put flies and lures where they need to be but you can't make them eat them.Paul

i might have to organise a trip out with you sometime Paul.. you can show me the ins and outs of fishing

Tim

Hey Paul,

great fish mate you da man will be up around the week of the 08/12/03 will give you a call will go for a feed at that liitle place we went last time, if you have the time, also noticed one thing in that toona pic of you mate YOUR HEAD HASN'T GOT ANY BETTER(lol).

SEE YA SOON

THE BOMBER