Thread: Chasin Tail

fisher

Chasin Tail

Hi folks just thought I'd share this pic of some tailing Goldens taken Sunday arvo on a Hervey Bay flat.I don't know the final results of the tuna comp but I think Witchdoctor won it there team was leading on Sat night with 1 Longtail and 2 mactuna I think.I stayed out on the water after they all went in on Sunday and managed two hookups on Goldens and dropped both but thats fishin.Paul

Re: Chasin Tail

Paul,

That's a great shot!!

Would love to get a great shot like that, but too busy fishing.

How did you loose the Goldens?

Planning to get back up before it gets too much cooler.

Love those tailing goldens.

Wes

fisher

Wes,don't know how I lost them the hook just came out on both after a while not from to much pressure either just one of those days I think when not alot goes right no big deal though .I stopped fishing for about an hour to get that shot I took about 20 in all but that was the best one.It was pretty hard not to fish them but just wanted to get a good tailing shot.Just wish I had a good vid camera I could have got some brilliant footage.It was hard for me not to cast at them but well worth it in the end when I saw that pic.Paul

hiwes
    didn't catch a tuna over the weekend but landed two nice goldies while wading for less than an hour..probably from the same school paul took the shots of. i saw jules get one as well. i guess i could have stayed for another hour or two (hardly any tide on saturday) and landed some more, but they looked so amazingly beautiful and free, two was enough. never thought i'd say that, or go home not long after midday leaving a school of goldies behind, but it felt better to do it than to stay and keep harassing them. i'm sure paul knows what i mean. that is one precious fishery up there.

fisher

Hi Johhno,it was good to catch up with you again if only briefly and it was good to see you get a couple of fish.And yeh johhno I know what you mean about the fish and harrasing them they cop a hidding sometimes and I try to fish different spots regullary to give them a break.I spent a good hour just getting the pics and watching and learning there movements for future reference.There a very special fish in a very special place and I just wish more people would respect the fish and kill less of them as there not real flash eating at that size anyway,well so I have been told as I would never kill one anyway and never will deliberatly anyway.A fish like that is to valuable to be caught only once and I think it's a shame there on the species list in the H/Bay fishing comp as a fair few will die in the name of a few prizes.This region is famous around the world for it's reputation for as a golden on fly destination and should be kept that way to keep the tourists comming here which creates employment which this area desperatly needs.What was the final wash up of the tuna comp.Paul

hi again paul. great to catch up with you again too. i should give you a buzz next time we're up around there and we might catch up out on the water. inskip (near my shack) has been very quiet fish-wise and bloody windy for a few months so it's no wonder i find myself an hour north every now and then. especially when the goldies are around. i couldn't agree more with you about the species list, and the pressure that will put on them. pity. i don't know what happened on sunday with the comp. we headed home as there didn't seem to be any tuna around to speak of. i was hoping to see someone post here. best of luck with the guiding...hope you do well and i'll spread the word around. cheers
    john

fisher

Johhno make sure u do give me a call I would enjoy havin a fish with ya.There should be plenty of longies here real soon and hopin for a good season,just need this wind to go away it's been a real bad 12 months or so wind wise.And thanks for the well wishes on the guideing thing as they say, You never know if ya don't give it a go.Regards Paul

Great Picture, could you guys tell this Yank what it is you are calling a Golden?

RLBG,
    You might call it a Gold Bar Jack. Its a member of the trevally/jack crevalle clan. This Golden Trevally latin name is Gnathandon specious. Can be called blurters or trevors by Aussie's.
    Juvenile fish have distinct black bars over a gold body while the larger fish loose the bars and have a couple of spots instead
    They are found throughout the indo pacific and most US folk have meet them in places like Christmas Island while fishing for Bones. They have big rubbery lips that extend out while foraging for food and are extremely determined fighters. GT tough..

Great photos Paul!!

Cheers
    Randall

rlbgfish173,

The fish we are raving about is the Golden Trevally Gnathanodon speciosus. We call them Goldens, so as not to confuse them with Giant Trevally or G.T.

Hervey Bay is a special location to fish for these great fish. Schools of 10kg(20lb) Goldens come up onto the knee deep hard sandbanks. Its the closest thing we have in Australia to bonefishing.

They are much too valuable to catch only once.

Wes

Hi Paul,
    Kim Strathern won Champion Male angler with two longtails !
    Shaun aka Witchdoctor won the teams event.
    Congradulations Guy's
    Regards Steve

fisher

Thanks Steve,Congrats to the guys that placed and all that competed.It's just a shame the bay didn't perform as well as it can but thats fishin.Paul

Thanks all, I thought it may be a Golden Trevally but I have much to learn about your fish, a 20 lb. anything on the flats is respectable. Wes, I totally agree on the catch and release thing, I release 99% of my catch the exceptions being Yellow Fin Tuna and Bull Head Dolphin.
    I have a little over a year to study, before I make it to your part of the world so I'll be asking more dumb questions as time goes by.
    Thanks
    Pat

Karlbob

Having grown up in Hervey Bay I know what its like when the big goldies come in, I used to live for it, never caught one on a fly, bet its great fun, good to see they are still up there in numbers