Thread: mooloolaba last weekend

mooloolaba last weekend

Anyone have any info on last weekend's tuna comp? How did it go? What species, locations etc. worked. Not wanting to get the jump on anyone for next weekend of course!
    cheers
    johnno

Re: mooloolaba last weekend

Hi John,
    Your inquiry has come at a good time. I fished on sunday ( Not in the comp ) but for very little sucess.We bashed our way down to Bribie Is only to find macks and spotties on the chew. With a lot of the boats fishing for them in the comp, we decided to leave them for the competitors. But today is a different story, i didn,t get out on the water till 11am. But there was about 20- 30 schools of longtails and macks out from Old Woman Is today. I only stayed out for a few hours and got 1 spottie, 1 longtail,1 9kg mack, and 1 dart. Looking good for the comp this weekend.
    Regards Steve #
    P.s Going out tommorrow morning for a loooooooook!

are you a local on the coast Flytime???

Tim

thanks steve..sounds like you had a great day! keep the info coming!
    cheers
    johnno

Hi Tim, John,
    Yes tim i'm on the sunny coast.Went out today, there was schools from Coolum to curra's mostly longtails.Down at bribie there were only macks.On curra's there were tonnes of spotties you could have walked on top of them there were so many of them.I'm heading there tomorrow to get a few for a feed,then on to chasing tuna !!!!!
    Tight Lines Steve

sounds like ur getting stuck into them... top work!... i wish i could chase a few fish down on fly.. but i doubt the 8weight wouldnt like it too much

Tim

SimonM

Hey Tim,

I wouldn't hesitate having a go with the 8wt. Just avoid high sticking the rod when pulling up the fish. I started using a 7wt with a trout reel on some mack tuna in my early days. I just had to use a lot of palm pressure on the reel, and a bit of patience on lifting fish. I guess if you were ever in the lucky position of hooking an unstoppable (at least on lighter gear) you could always make sure you use a light enough leader so that you can put the brakes on and let the fish bust off. I would certainly feel happy about chasing the average spotty or mack tuna around with an 8wt.

Cheers,
    Simon.

yea, your right about that, ill be using the 8weight when i eventually go up to the bay and fish with Paul.. try and score a golden on the fur and feather.. its alot different for me, going from soft plastics to flyfishing.. still getting alot of mistakes and not getting fish when i know if i drop a plastic on the same spot id get a fish.. practise is the key tho!

Tim

Hey Tim,
    If you want to go out for a fish on fly on tuna after this weekend. P.m me and we'll make a time to go. Steve #
    P.s Don't forget the LONGTAIL TUNA CHASE is on this weekend.Briefing is at the Moolooaba yacht club at 7.30 pm this thursday night.

thats right.. LT chase is on... you a member of the saltwater flyfishers??.. i was a member but my membership expired this year and ive been too busy to try and renew it.. got a few things i was supposed to renew this year.. would be keen Steve but i kinda get crook when fishing offshore.. real pain in the ass but thanks for the offer

Tim

Hi Tim,
    Yes i'm a member of the club. The fish aren't offshore there in the bay of moolooaba. Very rare that i fish for then any more than 100m off the beach.
    Rgards Steve

crikey, only 100 meters?? sounds like something i could do in my boat hehehe.. ill probably be lurking around Mooloolaba river on saturday or sunday chasing fish on fly and plastic.. si im sure ill see all the guys heading out to nail a LT on fly.. if your competing.. Good Luck!

Tim