Thread: LONGTAIL TUNA CHASE RESULTS

LONGTAIL TUNA CHASE RESULTS

Hi all,
    First i would like to thank all the competitors for fishing in the 2004 longtail tuna chase.Unfortunaly we had to cancell fishing on saturday and sunday morning due to bad weather and conditions which left only one days fishing which was on friday.Which saw competitors catching and releasing 98 tuna in one day!! Heres the results,
    Champion Male Andy Vockler 14 points

Runner up Male Steve Dahl 10 points
    Kim Strathern 10 points
    Carl Benard 10 points
    John Hockings 10 points
    Aaron Concord 10 points

Champion Female Tammie Nitschke 7 points
    Runner Up Bridget McMillan 3 points

Champion Junior Brenton Mansfeild 2 points
    Runner Up Chantel Young 1 point

Champion Team Sara Wilson (Cameron Molloy,John Hockings)
    Runner UP Team Stingerless (Aaron Conord,Jason Thorton)

The Saltwater Flyfishers Association Sunshine Coast Inc. would like to thank all the competitors and our major sponsor THE TACKLE SHOP CARSELDINE and all other sponsors and Ausfish (Steve Brown) for their support in the 2004 longtail tuna chase.
    Steve Dahl President

Re: LONGTAIL TUNA CHASE RESULTS

98 Toona, thats a good haul.. were most caught around Mooloolaba Bay or down as far as Bribie??

Tim

Can you give any more detail on what was actually caught and what do the points mean ie one point per fish or what?

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Hi Tim,Jeremy
    Most of the tuna where caught from Pt Cartright to Old Woman Is. The point system is as follows:Longtail Tuna 5 points,Yellow Fin Tuna 5 points,Mack Tuna 1 point,Striped Tuna 1 point,Big Eye Tuna 1 point.There was a mixture of fish caught to get the results. I'll get back to you on those soon.
    Regards Steve

Ahh good stuff.. sounds like it must of been a good mixture then

how's the club going Steve?? i was a member for a year but i never got a chance to get to a meeting, things always turned up and stuffed me around.. bit of a shame

Tim

steve with most of the runner up on the same points did it then go to weights or something like that??

Hi Tim, Basserman,
    Yeh the club's going great at the moment we have 85 or so members and growing strong.Our meetings are the 2nd monday of every month at 7.30 pm at the Kawana Community Hall. Should come down some time.Basserman they were placed from time of capture of first fish.
    Regards Steve #

ill try and make it to a meeting one day.. always too busy fishing... any good spots i can maybe turn a few heads on the M'ba river?? ive been fishing it top to bottom for the last 2yrs on plastics.. know every nook and cranny.. and pretty much know where i can get atleast 1 fish on a plastic, but in spots im tossing some feathers and i just dont get any response yet i can drop a plastic in the same spot and nail a fish dead on... ive also been fishing under Sunshine Plaza.. getting alot of good bream and such on small white poppers but toss out a small white bread fly and they completely ignore it..any ideas?

Tim

Hi Tim,
    Booby flies work well in that area. Afew of the boy's fish there and that seems to the fly to use.Also try s.o.s's in olive and white.
    Regards Steve

Hi All,
    THE fish that were caught were 8 Longtails and 88 Mack tuna between 41 competitors. But not all the competitors caught fish.
    Regards Steve

bloody Boobys heheh.. yea alright, cheers.. better get the vice out and blow the dust off.. cheers

Tim