Thread: Chasing tropical toothies

Chasing tropical toothies

Just bought some surecatch braided stainless leeder (20lb) to make some traces for fly casting.
    The trace is very supple and the pack comes with small stainless crimp sleeves. I'd sooner not use the sleeves as they stand out a mile off and are just as likely to attract a bite. The leader material will kink if bent, does this mean I can't tie it? If not, can someone suggest a knot that's compact and strong.
    I also have some slightly thicker clear nylon covered leader that doesn't kink as much, tried a double overhand loop knot with it but the knots pretty bulky and difficult to tighten fully. Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

Re: Chasing tropical toothies

Is the leader coated? You can try melting the coating, some steel braids are designed to do this, and is a good way to connect the fly. As far as connecting this to mono an Albright is probably your best bet

CHeers Duckbill, the surecatch stuff isn't coated, but the thicker stuff is. I don't think it's the hot-melt variety though - that would be too easy. Do you know if the hot melt stuff come in clear or just black?

I have seen the hot melt braids in clear, green, black... Only way to be sure is to try... Just make sure you don't burn it, but you probably know that...

The coated trace doesn't have enough or has the wrong type of coating, doesn't fuse like the hot melt stuff.
    Know any simple (small/compact) knots that might be of use?

Have you tried melting it? Bend it and twist the ends tight and then try to see if it melts/bonds. As far as knots are concerned, is that to join mono to the wire?

Yep, tried it and though it does melt, there doesn't seem to be enough plastic to really form a proper join, certainly not like other heat weld stuff I've used in the past.
    The ALbright looks good for the mono to wire, but still chasing a knot to be able to tie a loop to the fly. I guess if push comes to shove I could just use a sleeve here..after all, if the critters go for the sleeve, well they're still going to hit trace.

you could just try single strand brown wire in 30lb or so. Use a haywire twist to connect fly to the wire and either haywire a small black crane swivel to the other end and tie that to your leader, or use a improved albright knot. Check Geoff Wilsons books for both knots.

The other stuff you could try is the graphite braided wire that comes out of france. Dont know the brand but its got the picture of those pommie pike on it. That stuff if knotable.

Otherwise if you want the best, get yourself some tygerwire. Its knotable and very strong but also very pricey. Dont know if you can get it in australia, but you could try Scott at the Alpine Angler.

cheers, Justin

Thanks guys

Check out this website, it has a lot of knots listed...

http://stripersurf.com/andeknots.html

I use single strands with haywire twist here for Macks and Cudas and just about anything here in T.I. Dont worry about bulky knots/crimps because tropical bities here dont really give a damn, they just want to munch anything in the water including bare hooks when they are on.

I would look for single strand black stainless wire in 40lb or Sevenstrand braided wire. Ideally the single strand is the best. Haywire twist to the fly and a haywire loop at the tippet end to which you attach the bimini double. Braided wire tends to kkink and can fracture particularly when big mackerels grab flies. You need wire for most things up there, basically because anything can grab a fly, toothed or not. Max