Thread: Sinking Fly Lines

Sinking Fly Lines

I'm in the market for a new #8wt for deep water fly fishing in the Bass dams

The sinker I'm using at the moment (brand unknown) doesn't seem to be getting down far enough

What do you guys use/recommend and what sort of sink rates are available

PJ

Re: Sinking Fly Lines

PJ,

Theres a heap of fairly agressive full sinking lines out there. One well worth checking is Rio's "Deep 7" fly line. Even though it's rated as a 7wgt can be used on rods from 5 through to 8 weight, have used one on a 8-weight and it works fine. 7-9 inches per second sink rate.

Chris.
    ########.

Harry_In_Toowoomba

PJ, i use a scientific anglers striper IV taper in an #8 wt for bass and cod. It gets down fast enough and is fairly easly casting with most rods. I'm mainly using it with size #4 and #6 flies for Bass and #4 -#2 for yellowbelly. With larger flies of say 2/0 -4/0 for Cod, you'll need a fairly heavy butt section on your leader to turn them over though.

I think the scientific anglers striper IV is probably one of the most popular sinking lines around for bass etc. However the RIO ones Chris mentioned are also very good.

Hope this helps.
    Harry

Scott_Mitchell

The SA Striper 4's would be the most popular sinking bass line used - as they have been used for a while and a lot of anglers have them sussed as far as the time it takes them to count then down to fish etc.I used a RIO Deep 7 with a guide who generally uses Stripers and once we worked out teh sink rate (Which was faster than the Striper ) I had no trouble catching fish and got down there quicker.

The SA Uniform Sink plus sereis lines would also be good - as they are density compensated - allowing for a more direct retrieve - hook setting etc You can get these in sink rates 2 thru .Let us know how you go

Regards Scotto

thanks guys, I think I'll track down a SA Striper IV and see how we go [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

PJ

SNELLY

Peter,

Have you considered shooting heads ?

The RIOT14 that is available will get you down real quick

Snelly

Stick with the STRIPER IV, or the RIO (fast sink) Lake line(I havent used the later).Heads sink tooooo fast for Bass in the dams.On a striper IV you can start stripping when its at the depth you want and it will stay at that depth, Heads (LC13) go for the bottom of the Dam at full speed(and usually come up covered in slime and mud),thats OK if there right on the bottom but the 1pc is a bit more versitile for this job. And by the time you cut the head down to a #8 wt its a bit to short to cast nicely. Good luck, I have to do some more Bassin soon. Matt Q

nat_bromhead

Cant go past RIO T14. Powdered tungsten based (like the lines) therefore no lc13 style kinks and sold by the foot.
    My new Xi2 10 weight handles 34".
    An up and over, open looped huck, not much grace to it but very effective
    Sinks like a stone, shoots like nothing else. Give it a go.

nat_bromhead

Re:ps

PS....... sorry to cut your grass their Snelly...just saw your post.

RE T14 on an 8 wt. Start with 22 feet and work back if overloading...

Hi Nat,
    we're can you buy it from ???? sounds good for a bit of reef bashing.
    steve #

T14 is a bit hard to find, one of the FlyOnly stores might have some but I cant find it, Had a go with Thunnus,s T14 and it shots like a cannon(in the park ) but I cant track it down . Let us know if any1s got some. Qny

See if you can get a spool of 36lb Gudebrod LC trolling line, its about 13gns/foot. It has a braided outer and easy to splice loops. If you are good at it. Just remove some lead core and splice the braid. Of course LC lines sink fast but you start the retrieve at whatever depth you like.
    But a standard SA HiD full line is hard to beat, you do not need funny taper fly lines for Bass in deep water. If you want to use heads, go for a SA HiD shooting head. There is too much of this American Tarpon/Striper/ Bone line crap. Flylines are just fly lines and the standard lines work equally as well as the specials and are cheaper. Its all sales crap. Max

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I've decided to go with a Rio DC (Density Compensated) WF8S6 (6-7" per sec). Let you know how I go

PJ

If you are fishing tuna, I suggest the trolling line. Its cheap, effective and easily replaced. One LC or Tungsten line is just like another. The advantages of T14 over trolling line are maginal, just marginal at that. You can get expensive line wrapped around props, dragged under boats and chewed on by the toothed critters. Cheap is best. The advantages of trolling line over expensive lines is self explanatory. Max