Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Same old argument,,,,,,,,

Same old argument,,,,,,,,

Its the same old "Is this a fly" story, and some of us problly know each others answers already but just treat it like a poll, yes and no answers will be fine. WOULD YOU USE YOUR FLYROD TO CAST/FISH THIS?. Its called the Gummyminnow and weighs more than your avarage Bream plastic (lead inside body) Its the"fly thing"on top, the 1 on the bottom is a Joe Bladose Crease Fly which has become my fave Mack tuna fly this week, yet I wouldnt think of FlyFishing with the top 1. Let me know your thaughts. Quinny. PS Wes ,this shape is much better.It would look excactally like a Manns Sluggo. Pic by Tom Earnhard.

Re: Same old argument,,,,,,,,

As far as I am concerned if it is built onto a hook then I will cast it, while if it is just threaded onto a hook then I won't. But I am not too fussy, the main thing is to catch fish!!!

Jack_Lives_Here

NO

Quinny,

The results speak for themselves.

I've hooked 5 Longtails, 3 landed, 1 sharked, 1 lost on Blane Chocklet's Gummy Minnow.

1st Longtail on Gummy Minnow

1st Longtail on GLX Crosscurrent using gummy

One of a handful of Mac Tuna to fall for the Gummy Minnow

Keen to try gummy on an Big Shark Bay Longtail.

Wes

If you can cast it with a fly rod and it catches fish, it must be a FLY.

I could cast a Micro Mullet on a #10 or a live baitfish for that matter(and it would be deadly too), they shure aint flies,,,We all know how deadly soft plastics are,,, but there "soft plastics"remember........Think of how fast you can cast a spin rod, why not use it for lures? Doesnt anyone have morals any more?# # #MQ

somehow i think it boils down to the issue of art and craft. if it's handmade, and the only added weight is to position the fly in the water, then it's going to feel good, right and proper. otherwise we might all end up breeding our own goldfish for livebaiting

Johno, by the way,,Thats a thumper Goldie ,,, Had a couple of goes at em on the Hervey flats a lil while ago.Didnt land 1 but had some amazing sesions . there a top fish. Wes, did that Crease fly lil mack pic turn out,nice photoagphy, I tottally admit IT(the Gumby minnow) works, ,just 1 of the many personal aspets of the game. MQ

NO

Guys,

Here the tying instruction for the Gummy Minnow.
    http://www.orvis.com/detail.asp?subj..._id=&group_id=

And home of Sili-skin
    http://www.locofoam.com/sili_skin.htm

Wes

Scott_Mitchell

This is a personal debate - and should be

If you feel happy with what ever is on the end of your line and your having fun - then do it.I've seen one forum member add fresh bait to his fly

I have also arranged to get some of these new products from Loco foam - including the sili-skin for gummies - should have stock by end of next month

Regards Scotto

Wes,

By looking at the photo I couldn't imagine it being a fly... Thought it was just another soft plastic. But it is constructed, so I would definitely use it. Where can I get the sili-skin from?

Saw some of these tied by Chris Beech at the The Fishingshow in Sydney. The thing that struck me was, while they looked cool, they were far more rigid than a soft plastic of the same size.

Wes and others that have fished them, how much action did they have in the water? Also, I hear this material is expensive. Do you think it gives that much more advantage over, say, a surf candy to justify that cost?

Thanks

harryhoy

Post removed at the request of the Member

Guys,

The Gummy Minnow doesn't have as much action as a squidgie. The lead wrap gives it a clouser type action.

I fish it fairly slow, to maximise the time in the "strike" zone. I like to have it sink down like a wounded baitfish. The do-nothing retrieve is deadly, so you can cast straight in front of the boat while its still moving.

Scotto is getting some material, but if you need them in a hurry try saltwaterflies.com

I think its worth it, because I'm hooked up to fish

Wes