Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Shooting lines

Fly Shooting lines

For those people geared to shooting lines and hunky heads I've been playing with GsP hollow braids and stuffing them with monofilament.
    One is a Tiawanese 200lb hollow braid that I stuffed with 20lb mono. Goes like a rocket through the guides and is great in LMD's because of the stiffness. Another thing I've got is a Platypus bbraided experiment that is 50lb GsP with a 10lb mono core. It is very thin, pretty stiff and shoots very well.
    I've been playing with a 130lb Jerry Brown "Line-One" hollow GsP braid which I stuffed with 15lb mono. And I've got a Pro Power 150lb hollow GsP line to do.
    I actually stuffed a SA T40 tungsten competition line up a chunk of the 200lb GsP hollow braid to improve the b/s and increase the life. Seems to be pretty good. Its green so its like normal lines.
    Technology gone wild really.
    But these hollow GsP lines do really perform, they are thin, no stretch, very slippy, and go like rockets.
    Max

The pic...the thick white line is Plats 50lb stuffed up 50 braided mono, the green line is the Tiawanese thing, the orange thing is a 35lb braided Gudebrod shooting line. The pink one is GsP stuffed braided mono.

Re: Fly Shooting lines

hey. i just got this line on the reel i won on ebay. i wouldn't have a clue what it is. i think it's floating, but it isn't weight forward . there is no thick bit in it.
    can you tell me what that is. just the same diameter the whole way through

Sounds like a plain running line to me to attach to your shooting head.

i filed the sink up with water and this line sunk immediately.. i'm prolly never going to use it, was just curious as to what it was. it's dark chocolate brown colour

How thick is it, like what does it measure. If it is around 0.3 inches its probably shooting line, but it might be a level line. Max

the thickness of the the line is about 0.8mm guessing. the thinnest part of my 10wt floating line is about 1mm.

Straight answer, Dunno. might be a DT line, or a hunk of. Max

Hi Max,

Those lines you are mucking around with sound very interesting. Any chance of sending me an old one to have a cast with?

I have heard a lot about you around the ridges, you've certainly done some interesting things.

Catch you,

Ps. Have you ever got into these? (name withheld as it causes too many arguments)

No but I had a cast at one back in the 70's but got a little GT instead. Don't have any "old" ones, Max

Max, Im just using a old Striper IV runnung line on my head atm,, I have 120ft of braided mono but dont know how to stuff it (I think you tried to explian it to me ages ago,,,I didnt get it)... Do I use a needle?? Just keep feeding the mono"core" up the guts??? and how do you do the loops at the ends??? ??? I have more control with the standard running line but I get more distance with the braid (25lb),,and a heap more tangles,,,,,,Will"stuffing"it with a stiffish mono help it not tangle?...... Cheers for any help. Matt.

Matt... Reports on the stuffed hollow GsP braid are very promising, said to be "very good". If you went that path you could use 80lb Power Pro or ProPower from Jack Erskine and substitute it for the Braided mono in the nexy bit. But you stuff it with 15/20lb stiff mono rather than GsP braid.
    For a standard stuffed line you will need to get 100 feet of 20lb Gudebrod braided monofilament line, and a 6" doll needle. You insert the GsP backing line into the needle, allow about 3 feet of line through the eye, for safety, and insert the needle int the 20lb braided mono. You just keep pushing the needle through the braid and pushing the braid along the GsP line, until you get to the end. But just before you get to the end you insert a loop of light, about 10lb monofilament into the mono braid to use in making the splice. Have the mono loop come out of the braid about 6 inches before the end of the line. Then you complete pushing the GsP up the braid and you end up with your backing line right through the braided mono. Tease out the end of the mono braid, makes it easier to splice and put the lot, gsp and braid into the mono loop and pull it through the braid. Just do a normal splice. then you get a sharp sissors and trim the end, then pull it back insiide te mono braid, make a neat splice. Then you add just one drop of Loctite 406 CA glue, super glue, to the splice and let it cure.
    Then you stretch the thing so that the gsp backing line is tight and run your fingers down the mono braid to remove any twist, do it a few times, and then stretch both lines tight and put a drop of glue every 6 feet of line until the end. you can seal the end with aquaseal, just make the thing neat and you have a coaxial integrated backing/shooting line. You only need 100 feet, because you have 30 feet of head and a few feet of leader and you will noirmally not have more that 50 feet of shooting line off the reel. So you can cast this thing over 100 feet and still not have your backing line off the reel.
    If you want a shooting line, just cut the thing off at 100 feet and put a loop on the other end, after you have stretched things and glued the lines together. I use Bionic Braid for the GsP line, and mostly use 30lb because these days it is 42lb b/s. Cheers Max
    I know it takes time but its a good shooting line, is thin no stretch and shoots well out of baskets, and there are no knots.

Hi Quinny.
    There are other Shooting/hauling/running lines available that don't take hours to make or you need to use a glove with.

And can be used for hours with out cutting your fingers off, or needing to count your fingers at the end of the day.

You can buy these lines from a number of places and they are cheap, about $26/80 feet. Just look about.
    Regards.
    Barry.

Baz,,,,Like I said, Im using a standard Running Line atm,, Braided mono gives a heap more distance (for me anyway),But tangles like a bassturd, and is a bit rough on soft smooth "nursy boy" hands, but Id like to try the "stuffed verson", alot less tangles. I dont get the process for the "end loops" but Max, . Cheers Quinny

Hi.
    The end loops, take the inner core, of the braid and form a loop at the end, in doing so also take the inner core around and back into the braid, this way they is no reduction to the breaking strain of your running line.

The 25 mono braid, yes it casts well but you pay with any wind or your fingers.

The other draw back is it eats the guide system on your rod, and you will find after about 100hours of casting the braid has attacked your guides.

Now to reduce the tangles, reduce the wear and increase the casting distance, soak the running line, the braid in Mr Sheen, the polish, spray the Mr Sheen in a bowl and slowly run the line through it, the allow a couple of minutes and wipe/polish dry.

It, the polish reduces tangles because it allows the braid to fall, move over the layers without catching.

Distance, you would expect about 3 or 4 meters further to be cast.

Polishing the rod also increases the distance cast, when casting, there is a harmonic wave formed as the line is pulled upwards, as the line's harmonic wave moves from the ground upwards it touches the rod, this is like a plastic to plastic contact where the both surfaces are grabing one another, slowing the lines speed and therefore the distance cast.

All the above is why we developed a Running for use with a Double Handed Rod where the normal distance cast is plus 130feet. We had to over come the same problems you are looking at now.

Hope I haven't confused you.
    Regards.
    Barry.

Gezz Barry, Dont suppose youd be able to show some of us beginers how to cast 130ft ?? I dont even think Mr Sheen could help me with that... Seriouslly some of us Bris guys would love to watch you in action with some of your 2handers. Im sure some of the tackle sluts in the gang would like to have a 14ftr in the arsnell. MQ