Thread: cheapest #7 fly outsit for newbie

cheapest #7 fly outsit for newbie

g'day all,

i'm looking to get kitted out with all this fluff chucking gear but it's somewhat daunting to be shown $1000 plus outfits and the like.

surely there's a basic cheap combo someone can recommend for a newbie.

thanks

Re: cheapest #7 fly outsit for newbie

oh and it's for saltwater use also - estuary and light inshore work.

talk to Uncle_Barry, Scott Mitchell or Bing on these forums, they all sell flyfishing gear and could set you up with a very nice setup for around the $500+ mark.. depending on your budget.. probably even less.. maybe around the $300 mark.. they will probably message you or drop a message here, but they are good to talk to

Tim

I've recently picked up a cheap shakespeare snake river classic 8wt which casts ok (im a _total_ newie to flyfishing as well), probablly better if i knew how to actually cast the dammed thing

I also bought a pflueger supreme 1878 for it which seems nice enough. Granted I havent taken the outfit out yet (other than harrassing everyone in the backyard), most likely will give it a bash over the weekend, but it feels really nice to me, but I doubt i'll actually take it anywhere for a while that will really test out it's drag.

I suggest you keep hounding these guys for feedback though, Im sure they'll move away from catching all the nice fish and spend some time giving their opinions on what outfits would best suit you (search back through the forum as most have probablly answered this time and time again).

If you want a list of reputable ebayers selling stuff (fly rods, reels, flies, accessories etc) I can pass on those who I have bought from in the past without any hassles - a great way to pick up the stuff you need just that little bit cheaper (alot cheaper sometimes).

vort

Talk to uncle barry. He will/should set you up with a neat package for a very nice price!

You can goto places like ebay and get rods and reels (i have gotten them and they are tops) but unless you really know what you are getting, your better off "trying" before buying.

Rosso.

Dooley,
    An 8wt rod and combo i would reccomend an innovator 8wt i think they sell for about #$150 to $175. For a starting reel an pflugger 1890 for about the same price. Then your choice of line, i would think a good quality line like a bonefish or striper it all depends on your budget.The thing is to buy the best you can afford, then you have them for life.What i have mentioned above is only basic but i have used them when i started and i had no problems with that gear on tuna, trev's, tailor,queenies. Where are you from ? I could reccomend a tackle shop to go to.
    Hope this helps,
    Steve #

Dooley,

I also have a Shakespeare Snake River Classic, although in a 5wt, my friend has the cheaper version in 7/8wt and for a beginner outfit with reel line and backing too, these are not bad, although you will need to change the line asap.. its pretty sh$t.
    I got mine off ebay, and there are a few outfits on ebay for sub $150 for a graphite rod...
    You could also try the Proangler website, i got a saltwater outfit from there that i am more than happy with.
    Very good delivery and service from these guys.
    Hope this helps