Thread: Sage Xi2 or Loomis GLX crosscurrent

Sage Xi2 or Loomis GLX crosscurrent

Putting together a new 9wt outfit for FNQ estuary and creek fishing (and light pelagic work). I intend to spend up, to have a quality outfit to last. Considering the Sage Xi2 and the Loomis GLX crosscurrent. The loomis seems faster and stronger, but the sage is lighter and more comfortable in the hand. Will be matching it with a lamson litespeed. Any experiences, advice or for and against please?
    Thanks
    Matt.

mabo

Re: Sage Xi2 or Loomis GLX crosscurrent

useing tfo's in the salt, but the litespeeds in 3.5 and 4 are great.

cheers john.

Matt,

I've just "upgraded" my 2-piece GLX 8/9# Mega for the 4-piece 9# GLX Crosscurrent. I used a mate's 9# GLX Crosscurrent before I got mine. Its fast and beefy. I look forward to tackling the Hervey Bay Golden Trevally with it.

A rod you should try is the standard Crosscurrent - 9 foot 9 inch 9#. 3 guys in our group used them and raved about it. Some prefered them to the GLX. One even landed a "tiddler"(34lb) Spanish Mackeral on #this rod.

I've not used the Sage, so can't comment.

Wes

Only pretty new to this fly fishing game. Second season here in Canada fishing for some good browns in the fresh. Coming from Australia I too thought that Loomis fly rods must be pretty good. Speaking to guys that really know their stuff here, especially for precision casting and fish fighting capabilities when stretched on light gear almost eveyone goes with a Sage over a Loomis. The shop I frequent has a heap of Loomis rods that are at half price because they can't sell them with everyone preferring a Winston or Sage at full price. Now I've used a Loomis and never a Sage but found it Ok to cast, not mind blowing but it did the job. I'm keen to try a Sage and really see if they are that much better. Most of the guys I speak with say that have a fair bit more punch for the weight of the rod. I'd imagine they must cost a few $$$ at home for a decent Sage but I'd certainly check it out, they seem to be pretty popular in Florida for the Saltwater stuff as well.

I have been looking at 9wt's for about 3 months now and i have cast shitloads of rods! The Xi sage series are great but are not as fast as the Loomis GLX, Power can be increased by getting a longer rod and a foot will help, especially for flats fishing. I have a Sage SLT 9'6, Sage XP 10' (in 6wts) and they are totally different rods but both serve their purpose. I ended up buying a Temple Fork fast action series as i do alot more fresh water than salt (mind you it was still $500 reduced from $600). I also just bought a Lamson V3.5, and i have a V3 for my Sage 8wt and the new model 3.5 is lighter than my V3!! Check them out i was shocked!!
    Good luck with it, try some other rods too, Loomis and Sage are great brands but there are others!
    My advice - Shop Around

Have Fun!

Chris

Just went through all that and in the end I got an Orvis TLS tip flex. Nice rod, good finish, and the price was OK as well. With 2 false casts I can cast a full Airflo intermediate line, and it has a fair bit of grunt in it. They used to be the top of the range line, but with the new T3 Orvis has dropped them in price a fair bit...

As a reel I got a Snowbee XS 910. Great reels, good finish and reasonably priced as well....

Hi Matt

I can't comment on the Sage, but I have a GLX-CC 7wt - and love it! I use it for fishing the creeks around Ingham and the Hinchinbrook Channel. I landed a 40cm Mangrove Jack on it 2 weeks ago in the Channel. The rod not only casts well, but handled the Jack in the mangroves really well. It's a fantastic sooty and barra rod as well. I prefer the GLX mainly because it's a 4 piece and I go hiking with it. I'm currently saving up for the GLX-CC 9wt. Then I want the 11wt....hope my wife doesn't read this! Good luck - I'm sure that whatever rod you get you'll be happy with it. Just a tip - I got my rod at the Ingham Tackle shack - it was $380 cheaper than other prices I got.

Kind regards

Raymond De Lai

Hi Matt,

I have used both 8 and 10 weight XI2's extensively over the past 4 months and absoloutly love them. The most responsive and crisp rods Ive used to date. Each weight rod, in the range has been designed for a certain application, almost species specific if you like.
    The 8 is a fantastic flats/ beach/ inshore rod and will really assist in reducing false casts allowing the fly to be where it oughta be more of the time....in the water. And it has grunt. Great on tuna, barra, but equally as sweet in a quite corner of a lagoon or creek turning over a 'toga fly.
    2 weeks ago in Weipa I had the opportunity to pit the XI2 SAGE against an 8wt Cross Current that a guy had just bought as a learner rod. Completely unsolicited, he found the SAGE so much easier to hold line up and get it out.

Got to finish by saying I am a part of the SAGE guide team here in oz, that aside, Ive always loved 'em, and always will.
    Nat

Gordon_Scamp

Matt, have to go with what the majority of guys are saying re. the Sage vs. Loomis. Both are top rods, but the Sage it definitely a sweeter rod to cast. The Loomis seem to be stiffer and more timing critical - whatever you end up buying at the top end of the market you can guarantee your getting the very best - just a matter of which one suits your casting style/budget (obviously you''ll try before you buy!). Keep in mind Scott, the S3s series are a sweet casting rod with plenty of stopping power in the bottom end, they're also priced quite a bit under similar competitors (more money back in your pocket!). Good luck.

matt,

had a cast of nats 8wt and put simply it kicks arse! #When i replace my 10wt i will have no worries with choice, i'll go straight for the Xi2.

cheers, Justin

Hi Justin....keeping well
    I could tell you liked that xi2 8 . Sure is an awesome stick.
    As much as I love my old 10wt RPLXi, more often Im using the 8 in it's place (which is a pretty wild concept, an 8 that thinks it's a ten!!).
    Fish been biting down there ... Im off to the Burrum River and Lenthalls for 5 days so hopefully there'll be something to cast at up there next week...
    Tight lines # Nat

gotta love burrums - great place and a great river. #Pitty it gets hit so hard by the pros. #If they where kicked out for a bit it would be one hell of a place. #Same goes for the mary i guess. #Have you been to the sandy straights lately?

fish wise for me...........pritty slow got out on tuesday and got a dozen or so little mahi mahi - was heaps of fun!

loved your piece in the sunfish mag about hagistone.....keep the good work up.

cheers, Justin

Thanks for the info everyone, I'll head out and test cast a few of them and see what comes of it. I have a rplxi #7 which is a great rod but a little slow. Ive heard the xi2s are a bit faster, but have a lot more lifting power.
    Cheers
    Matt.