Thread: Moolooaba fly report

Moolooaba fly report

Hi All,
    Fished over at Old Woman Is today. Caught some good longtails around 8-10 kg as well as mack tuna. The longtails were in the line of Pt Cartright to Old Woman Is and further out while the mack tuna were in closer inshore.They were very hungry as the ate the fly as soon as it hit water.
    Steve

Re: Moolooaba fly report

Today?? CRaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap shoulda gone for a buzz offshore yesterday arvo instead of flicking the wand up the river.. bugger.. what kind of flys were they munching on Steve?

Tim

Hi Tim,
    Surf candies in olive and white,tied on SL 12'S 1/0.
    Steve

cool.. might have to tie up some surf candies soon.. i wanna get out there soon if they are still around.. try and temp one on fly...

Tim

Hi tim,
    Don't get in front of them as they didn't like that tactic! I came in from the side(east) wind was blowing ss/west as they kept turning around in circles as they do.
    Steve #

yeh, when im out there i usually try and predict where they will pop up next, zoom over, kill the engine and drift, they usually popup 10 to 15 meters away.. if not, drop the leccy and just cruise around slowly, follow the schools of baitfish on the sounder..

Tim

Steve

I was actually contemplating going over there on my kayak, what do you think???

David

Anyone going out got a spare spot ??? Still havent got a Longy yet this yr, havent got anything come to think of it,,,, Not you but Duckbill, not keen enough to sit on the back of the yak,,,,, yet. Good work on the Tuna Steve. MQ

i went out for a reef fish today, still a few tuna around, wish i had the flyrod onboard now they busted up a few times near the boat

Tim

David,
    Why not !They paddle over to Old Woman Is on there surf boards for a surf why not in a yak. Make sure you take the proper precautions tell someone where and when, what time you'll be back and that your life insurance is paid up to date #
    Good Luck Steve #

I'LL give you a call matt maybe on sat or sunday

SNELLY

Matt,

Surely you are desperate enough by now !!!!

I thought you would have put your hand up straight away to get on the back of the YAK

LOL

Snelly

Matt, I am not sure if the yak could carry both of us, but I can tow you out if you get an inflatable mattress or something like that

I won't make it this weekend, looks like it might blow a bit, plus I am going to see England get beaten again saturday evening....

I will wait for it to be nice and calm and pedal out from the beach, straight across... Next week hopefully....

Hi Dead Duck.
    You wrote the following:-
    'I will wait for it to be nice and calm and pedal out from the beach, straight across... Next week hopefully.... "

Then I noticed you were not planning on the trip back as there is nothing written about coming back. Guess it was nice to know you and Killkenny.

Do YAKS, as as watercraft have to carry all the saftey equipment, flares/etc that normal people in normal boats have to when ventureing off shore?
    Regards.
    Barry.

Barry,

I haven't been able to find info regarding the safety equipment required on a kayak... But apart from a lifejacket there should be nothing else... Anyone have any more info?

P.S.: Why are you so negative about the whole idea??? The probability of having a car accident is many many times higher than that of being attacked by anything while out at sea...

Live life to the max!!! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

drb

According to the Qld Marine safety Website it could be classified as a non registable ship.

if that is right and if venturing outside of pastially smooth waters and more than 2 miles from land you will need an epirb

If venturing outside of smooth waters you need an anchor, drinking water and bailing equipment.

Personally I wouldn't want ot be that far from sure in my Kayak but thats just me.

If any one is interested I have a near new carrabean kayak sit on top model for sale. $600.00 or swap for a decent 7 weight and reel.