Thread: Bribie Report - Longtails

wrightone

Bribie Report - Longtails

Fished up the top of Bribie Wed last week with my mate Mick (from this point on will be referred to as 'Lucky Mick') chasing longtails. Longtail caught first up just offshore of the fourth lagoon, fish seemed to be working bait balls and (thankfully) staying up long enough to get a shot or two. Fish caught on polarfibre minnow green/grey over white and white surf candy both about 4" long. Lucky Mick got his first ever longtail on the third trip out of his first season chasing longtail - lucky bugger! Both fish were successfully released.

They're up their - go get 'em.

Re: Bribie Report - Longtails

Wrightone,
    Good to see them still there. Congrats on the first longtail mick

Steve #

wrightone

I can assure you that Lucky Mick is still smiling!

Well done. I guess Mick is hooked now.

They are up there alright, but it's pretty tough to land one though.

Went out on Sunday with Lowy and Voltzy(from this point will be referred to as "World Champ"). Very spooky and not staying up.

World Champ drop one on a polarfibre. I got one on the gummy minnow. Sushi tonight.

Wes

wrightone

Wes, you good thing, still a gloomis man I see! Try a Scott - I'll even give you one to have a go of (with an islander reel on ofcourse). I've tried to get a few pic's on the board but failed (too big mb's). Lucky Mick's longie pulled the scales through 11kg! Didn't weigh mine but guessing the same (8 kg tippet though!) When are you going to take me fishing - remember it was me who sold you that 12/13 Mega 2 piece (maybe I owe you?).

Paul,

It's you!!!

Got any more GLX Mega, I'm stocking up. The GLX 12/13 Mega is still going strong. Slowly converting to Crosscurrents though.

Abel Reels(camo no boring plain colours for me) and Gary Loomis' finest graphite thanks.

Mine was 10kg and feed the neighbourhood. Sashimi & tuna pasta tomorrow night.

We'll fish together one day.

Wes

P.S. Check out how to resize your images.
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfis...num=1075561453

Paul,

Here is that pic you sent me...

Nice fish Paul, been meaning to come over to Sangate and say Gday, Might see ya at the meet n greet, . # #Matt Q

Nice fish there paul. Mick gave me a ring the day after you fellas went out and he was still over the moon. You did a fantastic job to land 2 fish out there.

went out yesterday and got skunked (again!). Fishing was really really tough with the only longtails we found about half way up the island feeding right on the edge of the dirty water line what was hanging off the beach. Found lots of bait but very small and the birds and tuna didnt seam too interested in it.

cheers, Justin

wrightone

Quinny/Thunnus

Yeah think we arsed it the other day, maybe the trick was bigger flies - I looked for bait but couldn't see anything (but I'm old and my eyes ain't what they were!) so we went for the bigger patterns. Going to try next wed, if I can just kick Lucky Mick off my door step (he sleeps there now!) - these fly wankers are so keen!!

Wes, teach me bhudda - what happened to that 'well kept secret' I shared with you about the bottom of the bay?! (many years ago yoda) - Queens St in winter now I guess ???

Paul,

We had a good season last year down the bottom of the bay. We heard good reports from Mackmauler and went down to check it out.

There was heap of bait. You could hear them flipping on top of the water. It sounded like rain.

It's like Queen St down there on a weekend, dodging ferries, gin palaces, sail baits, mums, dads and kids.

The Longies would feed very hard but for only a very short time. They were not spooky, just roar into them and get a fly in.

A couple of guys got their 1st Longtails down there.

Once you hooked up you had to worry about some idiot cutting you off though.

Good spot to fish if the weathers a bit dodgy. Close to boat ramps and protected.

I've not heard any reports from down there this season. It's been a bit slow this year after a hot start.

Bribies a quite spot, that usually produces.

Wes