Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longtail Tuna Leader

Longtail Tuna Leader

Guys,

What sort of leaders do you use for the Longtails?

Does anyone use shock tippets? If so, what material?

I use 1 meter 40lb Jinka(surgeon loop to braided loop) connected (surgeons knot) to 1 meter 28lb Siglon Fluorocarbon and loop knot to fly.

Most hookup with 1/0 or 2/0 Gamakatsu SL12S have been in the jaw hinge. But last weekend, I got bitten off on a good fish ???. The leader was very roughed up.

Perfect hookup - how it should be done.

Wes

Re: Longtail Tuna Leader

Wes,

Wouldn't a perfection loop be better?

I just got some sili-skin in the mail, and was wondering what size hook you tie the gummy bears on?

Bananaman,

I use a version of Harro's Loop Knot.
    http://www.harro.com.au/jn/journal.c...r=howto&next=4

I use Gamakatsu SL12S(Trey Combs Big Game) 1/0 and 2/0s. I use a fair amount of lead wire to give the gummies a nice action.

Go the Gummy

Wes

Wes,
    Were ya using a fresh leader? Is there a chance that your hook point may have nicked the leader? wind knot? locked up drag? had a chemical contaminant been in possible contact with the leader?Just a couple of idea's mate.

I'm using the 26lb siglon, is the 28lb much different? I'm yet to suffer a bite off to tuna using this stuff.

Have you tried berkley vanish? I've heard its pretty popular with the soft plastic fisherman (gummy minnow set)

Wes, what is that picture of- Captain Gummy?

Wes,

What about the loops in the leader? Are they surgeon's or loop knots?

What size lead wire and how long do you make those gummys? 2"? 4"?

Voltzy I used berkley and siglon. I prefer siglon they are lot stronger on the knots. thats my opinion.
    cheers Vince

Hi Wes,
    I use the k.i.s.s. method. (keep it simple stupid). the leader material is either siglon 8kg or 9.1 kg schneider. the knots are simple harro's loop knot at the fly line end and the same at the fly.I use a rod lenght and a half #of leader 10/11 feet. My personal thoughts are the more knots you add the weaker the leader will be. If i want bullock the tuna in less than 5-10 mins i use 13 kg schneider.
    steve #

I'm currently using 20lb orvis mirage but don't have a lot of faith in it as yet. It seems too thin and I've had it break once already when I didn't think I was sticking it to the fish too much.

I actually like Voltzy's advice - I've got confidence in the Berkley Vanish and used to run 16lb straight to the fly with a loop knot.

Matt.

Wes, roughed up leader id be thinking shark attack, ive seen them swallow the lure plenty of times and the line holds up fine. mainly ill attach the 'mackmaulers' with a loop knot, 10kilo leader is fine with fish under 10 kg mostly and if conditions are calm thats all id use, if its rough and stormy and big ones are about ill use 24kg with little difference to results.
    Rob, who can cast 60m without a backcast

shawn

Used to use 20lb Siglon for the leaders straight through, lefties loop knot on each end. But suffered a lot of bite off’s on big longies (20kg plus), so now I use 26 lb Siglon and have had no bite off’s since. Mackerel still make short work of it though.

In the Tuna Comps this year I used 8kg Yamatoya flurocarbon, and was very impressed with it. I'm not sure if they do heavier lines?

Thanks guys for you comments.

Yes it's 26lb not 28. I haven't had any problems with 26lb. I lost a few fish with the 20lb though.

Mackmauler,

I think my longie may have been taken by a shark. The leader was pretty roughed up. Though usually the sharks come in after the tuna is tired. Mine got taken just after the 1st run. I was using a light outfit(breaking in a "new" 9 weight) and chasing down the fish with the boat just in gear, when I lost it.

I though maybe the fine teeth of the Longie may have worn through the leader.

I just hate to lose a fish.

Any Longtails around the bottom of the bay? Been very quite this year.

Bananaman,

I use .030 lead wire. My gummies are about 7cm long.

Love the dancing banana

Wes

wes
    i hope it wasnt the line george was scuffing up in the carpark was it?.
    I RECCON ITS ALL GEORGES FAULT!!!!!!

drb

what about tapered leaders. Is anyone using them. I generally use a tapered twisted mono leader with a florocarbon or 8kg mono tippet.

Hey Wes,

the offshore sharks come in at any opportunity, bastards even eat fish the instant they take the lure! they probably know the sound of sherman now and will continue stalking you . The teeth look serious but they cant be to abrasive, they take the slugs deep all the time.

Very few tuna at the bottom end, but have seen some in small patches a few times, CLOSE but not extict yet... after the braining we gave them in hervey bay in april where did the schools go ??? hopefully safco are not killing to many.
    Rob

Heard a report of longtails east of Gilligans Island in 12m of water on monday night.They were swimming around sipping bait.
    Steve