Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zeeke Aka tim Aka freekin Legend!

Re: Zeeke Aka tim Aka freekin Legend!

Fair enough Max, the only difference is mine has extra prongs from a squid jig if you look closely and I put it together only with the intent of targeting squid. have not tried it on any real fish yet.

Cheers

Adam

Heres a few more flies ive tied

Pilchard Fly

Gold Bomber

3d Mullet

Tim

Try this. Its a "Sliver".

Tim, here is that fly I mentioned, a "Spotlight Crystal Shred Barra Fly" on a 4/0 hook. What do you think?

i think it looks bloody awesome!!! im gonna have to raid Spotlight big time!!

Tim

The crystal shred is crinkly and has ragged edges, so you don't need much to get a fairly bulky body. Great colours too, the purple one is amazingly shiny and flashy. A couple of dunks in softex and bob's your uncle. Only pain is that it is all shoved into a bag so if you want to build longer bodies you need to even out the fibers. But for $3.49 you can live with that...

Duckbill,

What does that spotlight material look like when you buy it, and what is it actually called? Is it some kind of fabric that you pull the fibres apart, or does it come in some other (more convenient?) form?I bet its cheap too.

Oh, that fly does look pretty darned good - thats why I am asking.

Cheers

Adam

Adam

It is called Crystal Shred and comes in a bag as loose fibres but all bunched together. Each bag costs $3.49 and there is a lot of material in there. There are lots of different colours too, I will be going back soon to grab some more...

Just pinch a bunch of fibers and tie them on. You get the tapered effect without having to do anything, and it builds up very nicely.

Looking at post times, you must have been reading my mind duckbill! You answered my question while I was typing it, and had the answer posted first. I will have to see if my local spotlight store has any.

Have you used these flies yet? Any problems with the materials tangling/matting during casting or when wet?

Adam

Haven't used them yet, still experimenting. I think they should be OK to cast and fish for the material is fairly rigid, but I will try it over the weekend and get back to you...

Thanks. If its good I will definitely have to pay spotlight a visit.

I posted the last thing twice. Don't know how to delete it so just thought I would modify it and say let us know what you catch with it!

Casting it and seeing how it swims shouldn't be a problem, but catching something, well that could be more difficult...

I will tie up some smaller ones for tailor and possibly tuna as well, might have more luck on them. Hoping to get up north one day and by that time I will have 100s of flies to try on barra

I looked at your profile and saw you are from Brisbane, Duckbill. Surely there is something that you could target (not necessarily easily, or year round) that would eat a 4/0 baitfish pattern.

I would be tying them for mulloway and kingfish here in South Oz. Probably around size 1/0 would suit me better though.

crikey

you might have to come up ere for a fish at the aussie barra park mate! see if you can catch the 20kg Barra they call Bazza

theres also quiet reports of Barra in maroochy river in the upper reaches... pond ones that escaped when there was good rains....

im gonna raid spotlight on saturday.. it will be my stockup day for my 10 day trip later this month.. thinking bout getting a 6 weight rod.. might make things interesting..

Tim