Thread: Casting shooting head

Casting shooting head

Howdy,

I currently own a 5 # trout rod
    6/7 # bream / salmon rod
    9 # Mullie rod
    and I have just bought a 12#.
    Although my casting can only be described as average I ( these days ) have little difficulty casting my rods.
    The 12 # I have just bought is spooled with a running line and my 1st shooting head. I went to the local oval for the virgin cast and it scared the pants off me. I was terrified it was going to hit me and slice my arm off or something.

Is there a secret to casting these things ???

Any assistance would be appreciated as I am in dire need of it.

Regards

Nick

Re: Casting shooting head

NO doubt Max will have a bit more to say on the issue as hes been casting heads longer than most would remember.

But 2 important things i find with them is to slow the cast down , and open the loops up. What Harro basically calls opening up the window ,by casting bigger loops you open up the window to get the timing right for the foward cast.
    To tight a loop and the your timing has to be spot on, to achieve good results.
    Dont over push cast and soon you'll get the feel for it and the timing.

Steve Ooi

Ian Sewell did a thing in the Vol 3, issue 8 May 2004 Fishing WA on the "correct" method of casting shooting heads. It's the basic huck, with just a single backcast and a foward cast. There is a web site www.fishingwa.com
    I understand Morsie gave Ian the "how to" a couple of years ago. Anyway its pretty much in the ball park. You could try contacting Fishing Wa to get a copy. Its well worth the effort.
    Max

Thanks for the replies.

Recently read latest flylife and discovered that I was allowing toooo much running line out.

Apparently only enough to dbl haul is all you need out.

Practiced with a fellow fly mate Adam, although I didnt get it out as far as he I considerably improved on my last effort.