Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broke my duck (bill) - First Longtail

Broke my duck (bill) - First Longtail

Caught my first Longtail at last!!! Well, on my 4th try really...

Went 12kg and took a good 20 minutes to land on my 9 weight. Never thought I would say one day that a 9 weight is a bit light

Re: Broke my duck (bill)

Good one Duckbill, and a good size too kick off with. well done mate!

You're face tells the story.

Did you catch it on a gummy lure? (just firing up wesley )

And now the story:

Wes and I headed out from Spinnaker yesterday morning at 6:30 and motored around all the way till the top of Bribie without seeing much activity. Around 9 some fish started breaking the surface, very close to shore, and shortly afterwards we managed to drift into a fair sized pod of longys having breakfast. 2 gummies were into the water for a short while before being taken by the fish. Double hookup
    Wes's fish took off towards Caloundra while mine#headed south. Wes's fish dropped the fly after an initial run while mine was still on. 20 minutes later he was on the boat for the customary pictures, and as you can see from my grin I was over the moon

Fish started popping up everywhere, and we found a great bait ball really close to shore, but couldn't see any fish... Then all of a sudden a longtail came flying out of the water and we got our casts in. I had a refusal 3m from the boat, after the fish had chased my gummy from 10m away, while Wes had a fish on. I wound my line in and Wes had his on board 10 minutes later, good effort on a 9 weight. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

We motored around a bit more and came across what seemed to be 1 or 2 fish, I cast my gummy out and the fish followed it and I ended up setting the hook 2m from the boat, with less than 2 meters of line out, just like sight nymphing for trout, only this was a BIG LT. He took off towards NZ, and I clamped my drag down, possibly too much for after about 150m of run the line went slack. When I finally got all the line back I saw that the gummy was still there, but the Mustad 34007 1/0 was more of a sewing needle... Bugger... That was a really big fish... [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif]

Then the wind picked up, but with 1 fish caught and 1 dropped each, we were happy and headed home... [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I am still on a high today... [smiley=laola.gif]

Wes's fish

My gummy firmly planted in the longy's scissor

Same gummy after the second hookup

Me again

Wes hooked up

Another shot of the gummy and my now broken in snowbee

Voltzy,

Thanks for that. As for the gummies, they really do work wonders. To see the longys chase them from miles away is amazing. They are the fly...

Go Team Gummy [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

SNELLY

Duck,

Well done

Did you have any nanna's with you for luck

With the hooks you may want to try the Mustad Tarpon pattern C68S for a bit more strength

Snelly

Snelly,

No bananas, but I did wear my lucky hat...

Will look into those hooks, and maybe loosening the drag a bit #

Re: Broke my duck (bill) - First Longtail

Well done duckbill, now you'll be hooked on chasing longies
    Steve

Steve

How right you are. Can't wait to get back out there... [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

mabo

what a unreal day,can't wait to get the new boat in the water.

cheers john.