Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellowfin tuna

Yellowfin tuna

A couple of weeks ago I was fishing off Bribie for longtails and came across a school of yellowfin tuna busting up near the shore. Got close enough with the boat to identify and have a shot at them. I had a fish follow my polarfibre minnow and then shy off. Has anyone had much experience with these and is it unusual to find them this close to shore? What's the best fly to use? My mate was casting a slug and didnt get a response either.
    Cheers,
    Mick

Re: Yellowfin tuna

i have seen rat fin in REALLY close to the beach at kawana before (inside the shark nets) threw a slug at them and out of a whole school of fin a bloody tailor eats the lure >.

Mick, they would of been longtails imo, seen the wrong ID so many times its funny. miles offshore id be more certain
    Rob

Ive heared they occasionally turn up in the LTs neibourhood, sometimes blokes get a fly infront of them,,, if you go back throught the SW photos youll see Voltzy and Toddy with some they nabbed while fishing for LTs(4 types of Tunny in 1 trip,,, super slam). Paul Dolans another whos landed some while looking for Longies. Great looking fish. #mQ

Rob,
    It was pretty obvious from 50m away and very obvious when they were alongside the boat that they were yellowfin, around the 15kg plus mark.
    Regards,
    Mick

fisher

Lucky-mick,the fin sometimes are in good numbers from caloundra to Coolum but usually later in the year around Jan Feb but don't doubt that you saw some.They normally range from rats from 5-6kilo to the 15kilo+ bracket you mentioned.I just looked through my records and there were plenty around in 98 of mooloolaba in the 15kilo bracket and some more in 99.Much the same as the longies, a surf candy or pola fibre cast in front of them they can't resist and will scoff them down but when they do hang on cause they go hard.In the stamana department they will give a longie a run for it's money anyday.Great fish to catch on fly Paul Dolan

Sportfish_5

I have seen some absolute horses up around the top of Bribie/Caloundra. They are definitely around there at times

Cheers

Greg

Thanks guys, my mate said at the time that we shouldn't go for them as we'd likely be there all day if we hooked up!!
    Mick

Mick

You should have thrown out a gummy minnow, I am sure that you would be still hooked up now.

I would love to catch one of those... Even if it meant fighting it for hours... [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

nat_bromhead

Saw a couple of YF near the third lagoon about a month ago, and again two weeks ago with Morsey on board .He I.D-d one 20kg + fish that busted up off the bow !!! While we were idling up on a school of fickle longies...

They are there from time too time...Would love to nail one..

Nat

Sportfish_5

Mick - Nice way to spend the day though

Cheers
    Greg

you can have your opinions as to them being there but the ones ive seen jump that are definitely fin (caught em straight after) are really hard to tell apart when the glint of sun hits them, from 3m away my deckies have called it wrong and thats hooked fish in plain view, guys with experience with both! but overall this yr has been a bad one for fin out here weve only decked 6 out of countless miles of prime water well offshore, norm yr wed be high 20s at least, the school ones are not a challenge to hook up like the LT, theyll happily munch a big minnow loaded with cable and monster hooks. if they are there you shouldnt have any trouble getting a take. bring on some pics!
    rob

(golden longy)

ok ok ok ...for robs sake we shall call them yellowlongfin?! or is that longyellowtail?

OK Rob, we'll have to agree to disagree. I thought the long sickle shaped fins cutting through the water were a dead set giveaway to ID. I still would bet my left one on it!
    Nice to know that they can be caught though. Cos they were so close my strip was only single handed as I wanted the fly in the action as long as possible. That may have been the reason for the refusal. Anyway if I do jag one I'll certainly post the pix.
    Cheers,
    Mick

Mick, 20kg fin dont have sickle like fins.

Rob