Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yellowfin tuna

Re: Yellowfin tuna

I have the same experience as Paul. Off places like Currimundi in Feb-March you could have 4 casts and end up with four species of Tuna - Stripeys, Longys, Macks and YFT. Craig Johnson (CJ from the QFM site) got onto some on fly in a post from a couple of years ago around 10kg I believe off Caloundra. Other examples of big YFT from the bay are in the Harro video Underneath the Cape and I know Fin Addict has caught a big one on a slug from the M5 or M6. Slightly further afield the ANSA 4kg record came from near Jew Shoal off Noosa by the guy that used to have KI Fishing Tackle at Aspley. Can't remember the weight but it was pretty huge and he said it would never be equalled because it came from such shallow water it burnt itself out running because it had nowhere else to go rather than cirling down deep. Have also seen big sickle finned buggas off Moon Pt in Hervey Bay and had pro fisho mate catch a fish around 50kg in the Fairway Bouy - Outer Banks area in the Bay.

Both Scotty M and myself have caught Yellowfin and Stripey's out from Caloundra while chasing Longtails... I'll get in contact with Scotty up at Cape Don and get a copy of the pics for the none believers

MM ,
    There have been times when BIG YFT come in close to the shore on the Sunshine Coast. The little models also can show in numbers when conditions are right. Late October thru November also sees a run of fish that can produce quality YFT @ OB Blinker (troll some high speed lures late in the arvo during those SE/NE wind days). Have caught many YFT just East off Carties BTW they love poppers! Here is one caught at Brays Reef Caloundra 1999 on 4kg spin.
    Cheers
    Randall

BTW just for shits and giggles did you know the coventional 2kg YFT World Record of a 25kg fish was caught at Mooloolaba. 1/1/93 by Mike Levitt.

Randall,
    Nice fish on 4kg, some of these guys crow about dragging a 10kg longy in on 8kg! Am gonna duck for cover.
    Mick