Thread: Air pressure...

Air pressure...

I have always wondered about the effects in variations in air pressure on fish. My thoughts are that it is the changes more than the values (high or low) that affect fish.

Have a read of this interesting article: http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/t...sure_myth.aspx

Any thoughts?

Re: Air pressure...

Duckbill I agree with you 100%.
    Vince

If we have constantlty high pressures (1020 and above) it usually means we're going to get some cod. Haven't paid as much attention with bass so I won't comment.
    May also be the weather asociated with those pressures though! ???
    Lowy

As an afterthought... bass really turn on when the baro plummets before a storm. After the storm they always sem to go into the doldrums. Always wondered whether it's an evolutionary adaption to feed up while conditions are still good (ie. before it floods).

Lowy,

About bass and storms, last time I was up at Lake Macdonald the fishing for the whole day was really really slow. Then a storm rolled in and the 2 guys who went back fishing afterwards had a great afternoon session with some big bass.

As far as trout are concerned, rapid changes in barometric pressure seem to influence them quite a bit, especially in rivers and streams. But my guess is that as the water column height in most trout streams and rivers is quite small (compared to the sea), then they must feel the changes a lot more than oceanic fish...

well i too have noticed to bass before a storm and apart from that i have noticed three peak times with them each day and thay are
    morning of course
    around 1pm (not sure why)
    and again just as the sun sets

but i have found when chaseing bream that they seem to like it more after the storm and not before
    but i have also noticed with them that they like mornings the most not as much through the day and then just like bass (and most fish i dare say) just as the sun is setting
    i would love to get a nice bar meter as most people in the know that i talk to say they the bar presure in the most important thing in fishing