Thread: How many longies???

How many longies???

G'day all
    I am interested in knowing how many longtails you blokes would catch in a season? Also, I'd like to know what is your best day on longies - is numbers important or do you get more satisfaction from catching a single longtail on days when they are scarce?

Also, post some pics if you have them.

Matt

Re: How many longies???

Matt,

I've landed 7 this year and lost 4.

The hottest bite was early in the year, before Easter around Mud Island. I landed 2 solo and broke my rod that day, and the LT were feeding like Mac Tuna. Also my 1st LT on the Gummy Minnow. I was converted. Left them feeding at noon. But apart from the good early season, I feel its been pretty slow this year.

I think my best day for Longtails was the day I caught my 1st ever with Capt Cam out of my boat off Bribie a few years ago. I caught 3 that day and lost another. I was knacked after my 1st.

It's a good feeling to land your 1st for the day. I'm satisfied to land my 1st for the day(I keep the 1st one), and then try to get my deckie onto one if he hasn't got one already.

I'm not into high numbers. It becomes like hard work to reel them all in. Had a great day with Duckbill about a month ago. We didn't land many and lost a couple, but we saw them eat the fly meters from the boat. We had a good laugh.

Wes

I'll recycle Duckbill's 1st Longtail Tuna. He's a "Legend" in Italy now. The one he lost must have been around 20kg img]http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/uploads/Longy.JPG[/img]

shawn

G'day Matt, Haven't really chased the Longies too much this year, but have landed about 6 or 7. Last year we gave them a good hammering and landed a couple of hundred for the boat I guess, all released. Some of the best sessions have been in Hervey Bay, with about 30 Longies landed for the day between the three of us......Triple hook ups on Longies on fly = Mayhem!
    Most of the Longtails we have caught in Hervey Bay are around the 7 or 8 kg mark, (good comp fish) with some big suckers mixed in here and there.

Looking forward to the end of January next year, some big
    Longies should be in Moreton Bay by then.
    Are you fishing the Tuna Comps with Roger next year?

Cheers.....Shawn.

Little Hervey Bay Longtail Tuna.

shawn

Bit bigger.

shawn

Jason with a nice fish.

shawn

Scott with a Moreton bay Longtail.

nat_bromhead

Matt..your last sentence is bang on...
    On a charter today we only landed one Longy (a tad over 10kg ),
    They were tough and spookey Probably due to all the Hornets buzzing around yesterday! )
    But it was very rewarding to see that one fish landed, it was my clients biggest Longy to date ....he was pretty stoked.

I once nailed 6 in an arvo at haggerstone Island (Cape York)., that was exhausting, (They were in such a frenzy that you could hook as many as youd want ...and it went on for two days !!!)

Great fish...I absoloutly love 'em

Nat

Ive nailed a total sum of ONE this yr,,, and it took Gun Tuna fisho Steve (flytime) to get me onto it........ compared to last season Im having a drought.
    I never thaught they could be that fussy, Ive always thaught ,if u got a half decent fly on and make the right aproach (and can cast OK) you were set.On Fri we did everything right but they just swam past our flies. Oh well, if it was THAT easy everyone would do it. Quinny

mabo

hi matt i got 6 from 8 this year i'm happy to get one a day, you do get tired when you catch more than 2 or 3 fish in a day this fish was taken on the 9th of march off harry's

mabo

this one was from march the 14th can't wait till next season,quinny we should have the boat in the water by end of semp so i'll get you out.

cheers john

That would be great John, not having a boat doesnt help, Ive only been out a few times this yr. Like the hat in your 2nd pic, I got 1 too. # #mQ

mabo

the last one off bribie in july

G'day Shawn
    Yep, Roger and I are already talking about giving the 3 comps a nudge this year. You are probably being pretty modest with those numbers - I would have thought you blokes would have given 200 a pretty good go. I hate to think what you blokes have caught in the last 3 years - particularly 2002 - when there were (to quote someone I used to know) TRUCKLOADS around.

Persoanlly, I like the days when its tough - to get a fish when they are finnicky is pretty sweet. Having said that, the day Scott and I got 14 and 9 resp. before 1pm was pretty bloody good also. I was absolutely buggered that day and was thankful the tide changed and they stopped biting. Of course Matthews stayed on and caught a few more.

Here's hoping for a good season to come.

Matt

shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Campbell
    G'day Shawn, You are probably being pretty modest with those numbers - I would have thought you blokes would have given 200 a pretty good go. I hate to think what you blokes have caught in the last 3 years - particularly 2002 - when there were (to quote someone I used to know) TRUCKLOADS around.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Campbell
    Persoanlly, I like the days when its tough - to get a fish when they are finnicky is pretty sweet.
    One day that sticks in mind for me is when Scott and I put in at Cleveland, and traveled all over the Southern part of the bay up around Mud, over to Tangalooma and back down the bay, and saw nothing. We pulled the boat out, refueled and went to Bribie, up Bribie past Caloundra and onto Mooloolaba, then back down to Bribie.
    We finally found the Longies half way back down Bribie. We ended up with a couple each, which satisfied the Longie fix for another week.
    I think we traveled about 250 km on the water that day. Those couple of fish, were very satisfying.

Looking forward to next years comps.
    Shawn.