Thread: fly fishing for bream

fly fishing for bream

Gday bk here i recently bought my self a new fly rod and want to chase some bream in the noosa river i was woundering if any one could help me out leader size what fly what line floating sinking etc,and where

Cheers
    Bk [smiley=clown.gif] [smiley=clown.gif] [smiley=clown.gif] [smiley=clown.gif] [smiley=freak.gif]

Re: fly fishing for bream

geex that was shocking!
    zeeke aka tim the fly fishing breamer would be the best to talk to as hes up that way
    i have done a little bit last year for them useing a 8wt and 8lb vanish with the bream popper type flys
    i'm hopeing myself to get into it alot more this year as well as get my firsat bass on fly

G'day BK, i use an 8weight rod, and i think its overkill heh, yeh, fine for the big fellas i chase around the moorings that are in the 30+cm bracket.. but for the average Bream, a 6-7 weight outfit like the Innovator Distance you just bought would be perfect, as for line, i prefer a intermediate line.. a slow sinking intermediate so if you do decide to use a floating fly, it doesnt get dragged under at a million miles, but you can still fish a sinking fly a bit deeper..leader wise.. 6lb is more then adequate.. especially if your just playing with lil creek ones.. once you get to the big fellas.. 8lb might help..

Tim

Shannon, thats Tim the Bream Reaper.. Franger Thrower and Fur Flicker Extraodinaire aka some dopey twit who hopes one day he might catch a fish on a plastic or fly

thanks zeeke i got a 8 w innovater cheers
    bk

nat_bromhead

Try a sinking line and light flourocarbon..(Seagaur 4kg if you can get it), micro flies such as tiny pink things (#6's) , small charlies and gotchas are the go..
    And the ledgendary BMS ..Ive only got one left or Id send you a couple...
    Have been a lot of bream down near the mouth and along the first treed bank on an incoming...saw a stack behing a prominant snag there yesterday but they were super shy in the crystal clear water... Also 'round Munna bridge is worth a shot...Goto cast close though...
    Nat

thanks for that fellas

cheers bk

If you can find an area where bream are visible, put plenty of time in. One spot I fish in Adelaide is a boat mooring and you can see bream sitting along the shade of the floating pontoons. The fishing requires a lot of patience, but you learn a lot about how fussy bream can be in clear water. In a 4 or 5hour session I only average a fish or two, although occasionally you get a few more. The learning curve is big, as you see the reaction the fish have to the fly hitting the water, the fly, the retrieve, and the way they wise up if you keep at the same fish for a period of time.

I had one fly which I have not tied ever since which was a great example of learning how fussy bream can be in certain circumstances. It was a funny little pink shrimpy thing that I made up on a size 4 hook. It had a "mouth" of pink polarfibre about 1-1.5cm long. The fish seemed to like it more than any other fly that I had, though they would not committ to eating it. Eventually as a last ditch effort, I trimmed the "mouth" bact to about 5mm long, and things changed. I hooked about 5 fish on that fly before I got it snagged. Sometimes the smallest things make the biggest difference.

I used a 5wt rod, and 2or 3kg clear platypus pre test tippet. The biggest fish I caught there would have been about 32 or 33cm, not real big - but good fun on light fly tackle. On the real tough days a fish half that size can make you feel incredibly good about yourself. It is almost embarrassing, but I reckon if I can trick these tricky little buggers into eating a fly I can trick anything.

Patience, along with trial and error is the key to working out bream. What I said above is just an example of one bream fishing situation - there are so many things you can try to catch this wonderful species.

Cheers

Adam.

Gordon_Scamp

If you're after the BMS fly, you can get them and other Muz Wilson originals (like the Spook and Fuzzle - both great bream patterns) from Tackle World at Sandgate.

bk I use a 6wt Loomis with a 6 floating line. Have had a good time using prawn/shrimp patterns with lead wire tied into the fly! And also a minnow type I made up. Biggest BR to date 37.5cm Fork