Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Saltwater Species

Favourite Saltwater Species

Guys,

What's your favourite saltwater species?

Why is this species your favourite?

Wes

Re: Favourite Saltwater Species

My favorite is flathead. Not v exciting I know although the initial take still thrills. when I first ever took up FF I went down toYamba, kayaked out to a sandbank and immediately caught over a dozen wading in the shallows. Ive been hooked ever since. They are so reliable. You can catch them just about anywhere anytime and Ifind myself having the most relaxed time chasing (chasing flathead? stalking maybe) them. Michael

Hi wes,
    I would say it's between longtails and mangrove jack on fly.
    They both have great fighting abilities and live in close / availability to home.Although i'm off on a barra trip in the Sandy Straits in two weeks. So many speices , so little time.
    Steve

nat_bromhead

Hi Wes...Were talking about this on the boat today...
    Probably Giant Herring.....
    Because of the overall challenge, the take, the fight, the speed, the jumps, the knuckle dustings,...an all round fantastic fish...
    Got some good ones in the surf at Dirk Hartog In W.A a few years ago but cant find the pics...bugger

shawn

I don't really have a favorite, but Tuna in general would be right up there. A few others would be Milkfish, Queenfish and Tarpon. My goal is still to land a Billfish on fly.......one day.

shawn

Hervey Bay Queenfish.

Wes,

I have many to pick but what stands out the most is Ox eye herring or Tarpon. Tarpon are reasonably common and for its size it gives spectacular speed and acrobatics. They hit flies equally as hard as barras. They go absolutely berzerk when landed too. So guys, my favourite fish on fly is Tarpon. Dale

Hi Wes,

I'm still relatively new to this ff lark and I wish I'd discovered it 30 years earlier.
    Despite the absolute thrill of landing my first longy recently (and I want to catch alot more of them too) I think that the reel smokin' first run of a good mac tuna is a real buzz.

Cheers,
    Mick

PS Perhaps I oughta oil the spindle!

For me it would have to be a toss up between a longy and a tarpon (the proper one - Megalops Atlanticus). Both really go like trains [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Only picture I have...

Scott_Mitchell

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

They grow BIG - You can sightfish for them in gin clear shallow water - and they jump #

Locally I like barra for simular reasons as above #8)

Regards Scotto

Sorry guy's

I've created a monster

"More Glory" Mitchell. Is he a man or a flyfishing machine?

Scotto,

How about the Marlin, Sails, the Big G.T., monster Bonefish, spooky Permit, or Spaniard?

Or Wahoo? Sorry, I forgot, you didn't get one of those .

You're going to be unbearable after you get a Papuan Black Bass.

You've promised me Tarpon just like that, only bigger.

Wes

Scott_Mitchell

Wesid you say billfish

Cute little black on fly - Yorkies knob

Groote sail - Can't wait to get back there in November

88kg striped on 10kg tippet - 4 hours

Now where's those wahoo shots

Regards Scotto

Scott_Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley_Pang
    Sorry guy's

I've created a monster

"More Glory" Mitchell. Is he a man or a flyfishing machine?

Scotto,

How about the Marlin, Sails, the Big G.T., monster Bonefish, spooky Permit, or Spaniard?

Or Wahoo? Sorry, I forgot, you didn't get one of those .

You're going to be unbearable after you get a Papuan Black Bass.

You've promised me Tarpon just like that, only bigger.

Wes
    Sorry I Forgot :-

Anna atol - Tahiti bone

Who said there's only small bones on Xmas

Xmas GT - wading

Placencia - Belize permit 8)

Still can't find that Wahoo shot

Regards Scotto

What can I say after those pics? # Um # Bream, Pike
    Duckbill, didnt know youd gone after Giant Tarpon, There the fish i really want to go after, they seem like the ultimate SW fly fish, One yr Ill spend a few weeks in Homassasa chasing them, when i win the lotto.
    Dont know if there a fave but i do love our lil poons, good on lighter gear, never caught 1 the size of Dales though.#MQ

Quinny

When I was working in Gabon, West Africa I went out chasing tarpon a few times. Unfortunately I didn't manage to catch one on fly for more than one reason: I only had an 8 weight with me, and the biggest I caught on conventional tackle was estimated between 100/110kg!!! Would have been fun on an 8 weight. The water there is very murky, but there were lots of lagoons apparently teeming with baby tarpon, but I didn't have any way of getting to the lagoons (1 hour drive through forest and sand dunes) and onto the lagoons... Will always regret not having had more time there