Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Saltwater Species

Re: Favourite Saltwater Species

My favourite species is the Tailing Hervey Bay Golden Trevally. The purple camo Abel gets around

I love wading in gin clear water and sight fish. It's the closest thing I've found in Australia to compare with Christmas Island(Kiribati) Bonefish. It's a shame we haven't got any bonefish flats in Australia to compare to the huge expanses of CI.

Paris Flats Christmas Island Kiribati

Love to hook up a Milkfish, Snubbie, Yellowfin Tuna and Marlin.

Wes

P.S. Scotto, keep looking for those Wahoo shots, they'll be with the big Snapper ones

but i still like the goldens best

nat_bromhead

I did this with a group of mates in grade six.....
    The toilet wall was about 5 foot high.

Still fun when your a grown up isnt it....

Scott_Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley_Pang

P.S. Scotto, keep looking for those Wahoo shots, they'll be with the big Snapper ones

Wes
    Nice Goldie Wes - and your right I can't find those BIG snapper shots either - The Sambell must have them

John = Was the Wahoo on fly [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Regards Scotto

I envy you blokes for some of those pics. I wish I were your travel agent.

Wes - I can't go past longtails. They look good, eat flies, fight hard and, as Steve said, you can get at them fairly easily. Heres a pic of a fish I caught about a 1/2 hour from my local boat ramp one afternoon after work in a 15 foot tinny on a trip that cost me about $5 in fuel.

No wonder the tuna didn't have a chance. You had your war paint on...
    Steve

thats a serious species list youve got going there scott..gorgeous little black!!

Jeffo,

Scotto, only catch all those fish to provide us with better customer service.

I've heard that line so many times I'm almost starting to believe it.

He's a mine of useful information. That's if you can get him on the line. He's often away fishing rather than in his shop though.

Wes

Jack_Lives_Here

I've had limited fishing but am a definite fishing slut. - I'll throw a fly or lure at anything with fins. I'm the same as Flytime - LT's and then Jacks, only because the blinkers have been on only for for LT's the last few summers. Those longies are just awesome on their runs and when you can see the fish eat your fly it's like everyone has kicked a goal.
    Hanging out for the new Fisher - look out then be able to get some more of that salt water back in my veins to wash out the dust from the west.

Great thread with some excellent pics.
    Even though it might not count because it is a Yank vote (although I have caught a few on fish on the fly in Oz) my hands down vote is for a big Tarpon on the flats (over 100 pounds). They are as tough as they come, really challenging to stay connected for the whole fight, jump like mad, and are in less than a meter of water.
    Sight fishing in very shallow water is I think the pinnacle of saltwater fly fishing.
    I sure do like your Barras too though!
    Cheers,
    Brian H.

SNELLY

Brain,

Catching a Tarpon over 100 is something I aspire to.

3kg / 6.6lb pulls our Tarpon up over here but still great fun. I have seen a video of your Tarpon and they do the same thing as our ie Jump, pull hard and daisy chain but just don't get to the size of yours

Snelly

Brian,

Welcome.

Have you got any images of the "Silver Kings"?

How about the snook? They are a bit like our barra.

Big Tarpon is definately on my "To-Do" list. Big fish in shallow water, that jump.

I love fishing in shallow clear water where you can see the fish and present the fly. Golden Trevally do that for me. If only they jumped.

Wes

Hey Brain, is your last name Horsley?
    Nat, I was never good at this game, some blokes live for it though.
    PS Dolphin fish are pretty cool too.You can sight fish em, they are obbsesed with poppers, they look fantastic,and run and jump with the best of them. Prob like a Queenie, which Ive never caught. Matt Quinn

lmao wes!! "better customer service".. any excuse will do i spose
    i cant even lay claim to many of those species on "conventional" gear... let alone a fly rod. my fly rod species list stands at school mackeral, flathead and pike i think #

Scott_Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo
    lmao wes!! "better customer service".. any excuse will do i spose
    i cant even lay claim to many of those species on "conventional" gear... let alone a fly rod. my fly rod species list stands at school mackeral, flathead and pike i think #
    The other one I like is " Some ones got to do it - AND it should be me "

I have been very lucky to work in an industry which I love and has helped me further my fishing for over 20 years.I was actually interested to know how many species I've caught on fly alone - so sat down and started working it out at 136 different critters

I like to set goals - Bring on those PNG bass next February 8)

Regards Scotto