Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Saltwater Species

Re: Favourite Saltwater Species

Scott,
    Would be intersting to know what flys and fly gear your taking to tussel with the spot tails ?

Scott_Mitchell

Flytime:I'll be using my trusty Loomis Cross Current GLX #12 wht - with Abel Super 12 reel , RIO 70lb Core 500 Deep seas and Tarpon intermediate lines ( Depending on conditions ) 80lb Jinkai leader straight through and I'll be wearing gloves

Geoff Skinner has tied me some large fat ablberst and flashy profiles - and I also have some BIG floating deer hair creations if needed. I' m hang'in to catch a black & spot tail bass - especially on fly 8)

Also have my eye on a BIG Mackerel up at Groote in November - just a bit bigger than Morsies

Regards Scotto

Hi Scott,
    I'll always remember watching Harro in his video using a 15 # on them. Reel hand to hand stuff that was !!!

Wes,
    Sorry I don't have any digital pics, all mine are slides. I did just get back last week from the Keys and caught a Slam in under 3 hours! I was thrilled. Small tarpon (8 pounds) caught on a Merkin, 9 pound Bone (my biggest yet!), and my first Permit ever (baby)!! My guide Dave Dekert said he has been guiding in Islamorada for 10 years and I was the first person to get a fly only Slam on his boat. I got pretty lucky.
    Matt Quinn, my last name is Hastings.
    I am looking forward to catching alot more of your fish down there. Looks like I am moving to Port Douglas next year. Should be fun!
    Cheers,
    Brian Hastings

Brian,

Congratuation on the "Grand Slam". Well done.

Scotto has got a "Slam" too. I thought I'd get it in before he does. 1st day too wasn't it. More arse, than class

He's promised me a "Grand Slam" in Cuba. Or was that just rum and cigars

Wes

Wes,

I'd be careful with the Cuban Grand Slam:

Un puta - a whore
    Un cigarillo - a cigar
    gonorrea - the clap

Bananaman,

Thanks for that.

I'll just go for the Bonefish, Permit, Tarpon, then lots of Rum and a Cigar.

Wes

Scott_Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_H.
    Wes,
    Sorry I don't have any digital pics, all mine are slides. I did just get back last week from the Keys and caught a Slam in under 3 hours! I was thrilled. Small tarpon (8 pounds) caught on a Merkin, 9 pound Bone (my biggest yet!), and my first Permit ever (baby)!! My guide Dave Dekert said he has been guiding in Islamorada for 10 years and I was the first person to get a fly only Slam on his boat. I got pretty lucky.
    Matt Quinn, my last name is Hastings.
    I am looking forward to catching alot more of your fish down there. Looks like I am moving to Port Douglas next year. Should be fun!
    Cheers,
    Brian Hastings
    Brian:Congrat's on the Grand Slam - Big or little they all count.Truely the "Holy Grail" of saltwater flyfishing [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Regards Scotto

www.alpineangler.com.au

ahh.. but has any one got a REAL grand slam on fly

Scott_Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo
    ahh.. but has any one got a REAL grand slam on fly
    I caught an IGFA official in-shore grand slam in Placencia Belize a few years 17 lb Permit , 3lb bonefish and 25lb tarpon -Pretty happy with that I can tell you 8)

ok then offshore grand slam striped,black and blue. hehe.. one day jeffo.. one day...siiigh

I'm still recovering from catching a Longy on my little cheapy outfit a year or so ago with Matty (Indian Warrior) Campbell.

However, taking 3/4 hour to bring her in didn't do her any good, but pretty sure she survived to fight another day

norm

Great Longtail mate, good pic. What was the "cheapie"outfit used?, never under estemate the cheep stuff, its whos using it that counts. Matt Q

The rod was an Angler "Toga" 8# and the reel an Orvis Rocky Mountain 7/8.

I have now bought a custom made Loomis 10wt IMX matched with a Gold Penn 10/11 to subdue these guys a little quicker hopefully.

Hi Wes,

The Permit, or Snub-nosed-oyster-cracking-permit-dart has my vote.
    They are so bloody hard to get, wich makes it more of a challenge.
    I just can't get enough of them, or maybe it's the stigma attached to them, they have me hooked.