Thread: Fly line for tunny

Fly line for tunny

Hi all

Just wondering whats the ducks nuts is for casting at tunny.

Please no sponsored product endorsements!!

I also plan to do a bit of surf casting

I own a IMX 10#

Nog

drb

Re: Fly line for tunny

How long is a piece of string?

a lot of guys use fast sink shooting heads, some will use intermediate lines, I caught my first mac tuna on a floating line!

without intending to berate, I would take notice of those guys that provide sponsored endorsements as most of these guys know their stuff and love fly fishing. They wouldn't be using it if it were no good.

I use a fast sink shooting head for tuna (forget the brand Wet Cell I think)

Nog,

I have an Airflo polyfuse intermediate and it works just fine. You can also get the Airflo True Cast, cheaper and almost the same...

Also have a Rio Deep Sea 400 grain, but haven't caught anything on it yet - I am a relative newcomer to this tuna business

alot of fellas uses the striper IV, gives you the ability to make quick, fast long casts and also do some dredging if the longies are down deep. The striper I is also dynamite.

Im currently using a rio tarpon taper, which im pritty happy with but it gets very wirey when the weather starts to cool down. Also use LC-13 shooting heads for dredging.

I have also heard good things about the Cortland Tunny, but have yet to fish with one yet.

cheers, Justin

shawn

I use a Rio Tarpon Taper and an Orvis Wonderline, both clear intermediates.

I have two favourite lines a striper IV and a cortland little tunny- I cant comment on the durability of the cortland coz I haven't had it for long. I cant see any probs with it so far, but the taper an slickness is just brilliant.

The striper IV is also a great line for the reasons listed above by the others. One other point I would like to add is that the line is very easy to cast into the wind and can also be delivered on the back hand. The running line is very well behaved in windy conditions on the deck.

Airflo's and Teeny are the best lines I have used to date, Rio has very good lines also. Intermediate lines are a good allrounder.
    Not a Cortland fan for reasons I won't publish.
    Duck, cast one of those Airflo true cast lines, excellent value for money.
    Good luck,Dave

Dave

Just got one for my 8 weight and the goldens. Will test it this weekend up in Hervey Bay. Goldens beware, the duck is coming

More the cast, and the fly...

Having said that a clear inter is a good all rounder..

Cortland (sorry, Im sponsored by them) Little tunny and SCI Anglers Stripers work well in the right hands...

Nat

Thanks alot guys, now I only have oooooooo eight to choose from

P.S. No offense to the sponsored fellas intended.

Nog

Any fast sinking head or WF line will do. A standard Scientific Anglers Wet Cell HiD 1V sinker wiill be fine, in a full line or a head. You can also use LC13/T14 heads, 30 feet for a 10 weight.
    Get the cheapest functional line available, like a hunk of LC13. if you are into heads. Max

Once again thans fellas. Went for a WF-11-S Striper tropicore in the end. Casts very well into the wind at the shop, and seems to fit my style (what there is of it)