Thread: beach fly fishing

beach fly fishing

hi was wondreing if any maybe able to help me find books on beach fly fishing as i have been looking for sometime now but to no avail . it is for my father in law who is a beginner but any books that may be avalible will help i live in WA but he lives on the QLD coast (emu park) any help would be much appreciated.

Re: beach fly fishing

There are no books specifically about beach fly fishing, but there are mentions in some books on SWF.
    Tackle depends on where you want to fish, some beaches are fine, some hazardous and some are impossible.
    Latest trends in the USA are towards the longer double handed fly rods, in the 13/13 foot class, such as the TFO 12' 12# or Loop rods, the best of the currently available Loop 12' rods are the Grey Line series.
    You can use WF lines, those with lengths up to 120 feet and head lengths from 36 feet to 45 feet.
    Rods generally are fast taper and have a wide loading range, and are usually rated differently to the 9 foot types. The loading range for a 12 footer is between about 400gns, a tip load, and 700gns a butt load. Usually one would go for a 600 gn load to get best casting performance.
    This means that in the AFTMA standard line weghts are in the 14/15# class and there are shooting heads available, which incidentially are the best lines to use, from Loop and Rio.
    Sinking lines are best because they are less effected by water action, but you need a large reel, basically to balance the longer rod, and to hold an adequate backing supply as well as a long running line and head.
    These 12' double handed rods are available in Oz, from www.########.com.au, in WA which makes it easy, as are suitable reels, lines and flies.
    The 12 foor rods can be used in most places that you can use a 9 footer, but casting distances are much longer, upwards of 120 feet without any effort.
    The places of best use are, rocks, beaches, wading flats and fishing esturaies. They also can be fished in dams and large water bodies like lakes etc. Bit difficult off boats.
    The pic is what beach fishing is all about, its Thomas Michael of Steelfin hanging onto a 70lb tarpon in the Carribean somewhere.
    Cheers Max

Re: beach fly fishing

silverknight. just a few questions. if your father in law is a beginner and needs some help. send him my way. i might be able to help somewhat. or send him out to the Catch-a-Barra Fishing park at yeppoon.. i work there on occasions. and saturday morning by appointment they have fly fishing lessons.

i have a 9wt saltwater fly rod and 10wt reel with mono - braid - 10wt WF line if he's interested in buying it. i'd let the whole thing go for $100, but not the flies.

i use to do some fishing up at Corio Bay, but since i had a new front bar put on my car it's been too low to go up there.. dag nammit. hehehe.

but. yeah. if he wants a hand with anything. i might be able to help somewhat. but i'm no expert.