Thread: Fraser Island Bonefish

Fraser Island Bonefish

I know that bonefish exist in this part of the world.

But I would be interested to know if they have been successfully targetted on fly, or are they too scarse ?

Any information would be appreciated.

Re: Fraser Island Bonefish

Deeper water, top of the Island, caught on bait from time to time. Similar to Shark Bay ( not where the similarities end...)
    Adjacent to deep water, lattitude etc...
    Maybe one day it'll happen on fast sink llines, LC13's, T14's etc, but it's not the same....
    From Urangen to Roonies in an average 5m Boat would be about the same as the flying time from Brissy to Noumea....
    Bones in shallow water there !!!!
    Nat

Generally they are very prevelant in all waters north of about the tropic, Shark bay in the west to around the Brisbane area in Qld. The problem is that they are more numerous in deeper water, there are places where there are suitable flats, and Exmouth gulf is an example. They have been caught around the jetty at carnarvon, in Shark Bay generally, Cuvier, Gnaraloo, the Ningaloo area, like coral bay, Exmouth Gulf, Beadon Creek at Onslow and places north. In WA.
    In the early days, 1968/9 I spent a lot of time hunting bones on the eastern flats of Shark Bay, south of Carnarvon and along the area between Vlaming Point and Yardie creek. I gave up because there just wasn't any to be seen on the flats. Thats when I forgot bones as a fly proposition, there are easier fish to find and catch. Max

Geoff Taylor of Time N Tide Charters catches about 12 a year from the waters north of Fraser Island. The one I have mounted on my wall of about 90cm came from about 30m - on bait. A group of fly anglers went up there to specifically target them offshore a couple of years ago but dipped out.
    In all seriousness, Fraser Island is NOT the place to target them - they do get caught there but are not a reliable option.

Apparently they get some in close at Cape Moreton occasionally (in the deep). I've often wondered if they ever come up on the flats around the sand hills - never seen anything tho'.