Thread: Newbie to Fly Fishing

Newbie to Fly Fishing

Hello all,

I was hoping someone could help me please. I'n not sure what length my tippet should be when using a 9 foot leader. Is there a rule of thumb I should be using when fishing with different length leaders? Why are there different length leaders, what situation would you be using them?

While I'm asking, I'm shortly going to lake Eucumbene for some fishing and I was wondering what size, poundage leader should I be using for that area and size, poundage of tippet?

Thanks in advance.

P.S If I catch my first trout I will post a picture.

Re: Newbie to Fly Fishing

Chico, I sent you a PM with some info, but as far as leader lengths are concerned it all has to do with presentation. The longer the leader, the more delicate the presentation will tend to be, and also the end of your fly line will be further away.

It really depends on the type of water, fly size and wind, for example a large fly (#8 hopper) in the wind would need a short (7') leader, while a small fly (#22 CDC midge) on flat water would need a longer (12 to 15') leader.

That is for dry flies, when it comes to nymphs then it depends on how deep you want to fish it, bearing in mind that the larger the diameter mono the slower it will sink.

Saltwater is a different story, no need for delicacy (most of the time) so it comes down to what you are comfortable with...

Hope this helps...