Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly fishing combos

nat_bromhead

Re: Fly fishing combos

Dale....Im coming up to TI. Get the Rexy rod out, rig it up, I'll do the same with a brand new Sage XI2 . Will swap rods with you for ten minutes, then absoloutly guarentee you wont want to give the new Sage back!!!
    they are cannons, incrdedible power and feel.
    Comparing a shed full of old technology flyrods to such rods as the Sage XI2 is akin to me racing my father around the block.
    We are part of a perpetual technological revoloution, leading rodmakers set the standard all others are runners up.
    see you soon.
    Nat

Dale

I'm glad you're already well into fly fishing and find it interesting that we are so much in agreement although coming from very different perspectives and generations. Notice that my "advice" was "to pass on to your mates" i.e. the young guys who feel they have have the latest Sage before they hit the water.

See you on the water one day. Hope you continue to enjoy the long wand.

Regards
    Matuka

What ever u do. don't get Jarvis Walker fly rod. they are the hardest Mofo's to cast.

Nat Bromhead,

OK Nat, once upon a time in Vietnam, the Yanks used a high tech, modern sophisticated rifle called the M-16 but the new technology proved to be too complex that many GI's picked up and used the enemy's much more older and simpler but effective (very effective in fact) AK-47. The bottom line is it doesnt matter what the rod is, if the fish are bitin, we still get the same satisfaction catching them whether using a cane rod or Sage XI2.

By the way, Spaniard run has started here. Going fishing with Gary up the Jardine in a fortnight.

don't want to sound rude, but wasn't this guy only after budget gear. now people are talking about $800 rods and $300 reels.

give him some options around the $200 - $250 price range for a combo.

Just got 2 TFO Professional Series rods for $511aud delivered to my door in 6 days from the US. With our dollar up, it is worth shopping around out there as these would have cost me close to $800 bucks to get them here...thats a nice reel and some good line I can now afford...

Dateman,

Interested to know if;

You payed the 5% customs duty on the rods and 10% GST on the combined cost of purchase price, freight and duty?

Are you aware that your credit card company will charge you a fee of up to 4% depending on which card for a transaction in foreign curency?

Have you calculated in the cost, time and duty involved in shipping a broken rod back to the shop you bought it from in the states and then back to you?

As I work it out you have made an initial saving of $119.50 on one rod as against the longer term possible inconvenience and expense (this calculation does not take into consideration the above points), interested to hear your thoughts.

Chris.

a good trick is when you get things sent over from the US. is on the outside of the packaging have "warrenty parts" or "gifts". that way you save paying customs fees.

What you refer to as a "trick" is fraud and a criminal offence. You will find that customs take a fairly dim view of this kind of activity and can result in not only loss of the goods but criminal procedings = fines etc. Parcels are randomly selected and inspected by customs and ag inspectors.

Chris.

my friend has been getting heaps of car parts from the US. everyone puts warrenty parts on the boxes... it is a legal thing to do.. just a loop hole if you want to call it that.
    all packages get inspected. that includes opening them up.

Harry_In_Toowoomba

Here's a six weight combo new from ebay. It's got G Loomis Expediter coverage.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....&category=7299

Here's an Eight weight one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....&category=7299

Just thought i'd drop a couple of lower end Loomis combo's up. I'm not a real fan of Loomis rods, but these are good prices really. I think MaxG is right about the TFO's for a good quality rod the IM6 is great value as is the IM 8, which is significantly faster taper and probably a little harder to master casting with at first.

For the same sort of dollars you could get an Australian Blank made up as a custom rod from Peter Cooney in Brisbane: pwcooney@optusnet.com.au Fantastic Rod Builder.

Cheers,
    Harry

Cheers
    Harry

Hi Chris,

In answer to your questions, the $511 was the credit card charge as it appears on my account after conversion, bank shafting, etc, which included the rods, tubes, all postage, insurance etc.

Rods were opened and inspected in Sydney, I paid no duty or GST on these items. I did not request that any fraudulent statements be made on my behalf about the shipment.

I'm happy to take the risk on shipping to the US to use the lifetime warranty, as I hope to never have to do it anyway, and the $250+ dollars saved, goes towards a nice reel, line, flys, basket, tying......

David

The curent Aus retail price for two TFO Pro rods is $618.

The previous fee associated with section replacment under TFO warrenty in Australia was $90 and has now been lowered to $65. This warrenty only aplies to rods purchased in Australia. Warrenty repairs in Aus are usually completed within one week.

Please return all TFO rods bought off shore to the point of purchase.

Chris Dunham.
    TFO Australia.

Hey Vort, about 8 years ago I bought a Abu Diplomat 8wt c/w an Abu 389 gold max reel and a heap of flys and lines etc for $100 bucks. I thought I had a good deal.
    Well that outfit stayed in my rod cupboard for about 3 years cause I was bloody terrified of it. Then one day a good mate got up me about having a fly outfit and of bein a bloody sook and not usin it, so I took it with me to a fishin comp in the Dunk Island area and when we were all rafted up havin lunch close to the beach a mob of bludger trevallys came in for a free feed.
    I got the rod out attached a fly and as well as terrifying all and sundry in the boats rafted to mine I actually hooked a trevally and landed it dehooked and released it.
    Mateeeeee was I ever hooked.
    I have learnt to cast it well, when me missus or mates or the dog see me take the rod outta the bag they mysteriously disappear bloody quick. I have caught a hell of a lot of fish on that outfit and yes I have had some very expensive rods in my mits but I have stayed with this outfit and use it all the time without any worries.
    I can recommend this outfit as I cannot fault it and for the price I would make some fishers very envious of what I have caught.
    cheers baldy