Thread: heading to Brisbane and don't have a clue

heading to Brisbane and don't have a clue

Hey there! I'm new to the boards-seems like a great site! I'm planning on coming to Brisbane June-Aug and am hoping there's a place for me to fly fish. I most fish streams in Montana (US), but would really enjoy hooking into some of the real fish you guys have out there. I would appreciate any help, or steering me to any place on this site that would be helpful-thanks, troy

Re: heading to Brisbane and don't have a clue

Troy,
    I've only just started fly fishing, but I'd be glad to try to help you out when you get here. There are quite a few options, as I'm sure others will tell you. There are Australian Bass, Saratoga, Tarpon, Mack Tuna, Longtail Tuna, Flathead. The list goes on.
    Keep in touch when you get closer to arriving.
    Cheers,
    Chris

thanks Chris-I sure appreciate it! is it mostly ocean fishing or are there streams around brisbane? can I do it on my 9wt? Troy

Anythings possible. As I said earlier, I have only just begun fly fishing, and my experience is miniscule. I have only really fished in the freshwater impoundments for Bass. I don't really know what fish to target at that time of year, although I do know of someone who has been targetting Snapper. Most of the species I referred to earlier are normally targetted in Spring/Summer (Sept-Feb).
    Anyway I'll do some research, and hopefully I'll have a bit more experience by the middle of next year.
    Cheers,
    Chris

the tidal waters at the back of the gold coast are always a good bet with giant herring, trevaly, queenfish and the occasional good sized tarpon on offer. things will be a bit slower by that time of year but give me a yell and i'll give you a few good spots to throw fly in.

Hi all,

I have fly fished for years and live on the north side of Brissy. I mostly fish for Bass and the ellusive Toga's, however dabble in Tarpon etc etc etc

If anyone wants any help (not saying that I'm an expert) in any way i.e. tackle or even spots, then give me a tingle. Even if someone wants to come with me one day, give me a call.

Hey WoolyBugger & Chris, thanks for the offer...can I take you up on it? I'm staying at the Brisbane Holiday Village, will be here for a few weeks, and would love to catch something, ANYTHING..just to say I caught a fish in Austrailia. I've been here two weeks, love the people, just surprised that I can't find very many that fish. Some have suggested stradbroke island...? anything you could throw my way would be appreciated! thanks, troy

Hi woolybugger
    I am also from the northside and mainly fish the bay
    I have only tried fly once (up the cape) but I would love to tag along sometime
    send us a pm
    fieldy

Troy,
    I've sent you a PM.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Hi Woolybugger

I'm am just starting out and I noticed your offer of help. I've been given an 8wt rod and I've been trying to find an appropriate reel (and accessories) for an absolute beginner on the web and it is doing my head in. So, I would really appreciate any help whatsoever, even directing me to a good site or book.

Thanks
    phil
    brisbane

Hey mate,

I have tried many fly reels and find that the Shimano Ultegra Series are by far the best value for money reels for fresh water. These reels have an excellent drag system and are quite hardy. Remember this is my opinion and you need to find one that suits your style.

If you want any assistance, just send me a PM.