Thread: Pliobond for braided loops

Pliobond for braided loops

I am having trouble finding pliobond to be able to finish of making braided loops. Here in town they have never heard of the stuff so what else could be used? I must add that I am still finding my way around in this fly fishing world. thanking you for any help.

drb

Re: Pliobond for braided loops

Ring Gavin Platz at Tie N Fly on 54440611. He usually has some in stock

3 coats of nail polish, just on the whiped finish. MQ

I use AquaSeal. It is flexible like Pliobond, which is very important, but it is clear. Pliobond has a pretty ugly brown to it. Don't know if you can find it Down Under but they have it here in Hardware stores. I have seen it in a Surf shop here also.
    AquaSeal is also the goop of choice here for wader repair.
    Good luck.
    Brian H.

Scott_Mitchell

Aquaseal is defineatly better than Pliobond.I have also recently started using Loon Knot sense , which comes in two types.Regular knot which goes off in around 20 minutes and the new UV knot sense, which cures instantly when exposed to sunlight - a great feature for fixes in the field.I have also been using it to finish off knots - you can even mold it around in your fingers as it goes off to get a neat shape over bulky knots - and it remains quite pliable

Regards Scotto

SNELLY

Yep what Brian and Scott said - Aquaseal. I have used it for a while now and it is the go.

But it does take 12 hours to dry - The Loon UV stuff may be better

I'm not saying this to start an argument. God knows I've only got to open my mouth to get one of those. But flexability only matters if, and this is a big IF, the thing is actually hinging. Because someone says things hinge, it doesn't mean they actually do hinge.
    Most times a joint, if you do it right, rarely gets any continuous flexion, and presents no problems. With full lines, the joint is pretty much always on the reel, with shooting heads the head is out of the runners, you have a few feet of overhang, and the other end is on the reel so it presents no problems there.
    In casting the only flexion is in the line, in fighting a fish the smaller the joint the faster it goes across the runners and in any case the problem runner is the tip because it's the only one that presents any sort of angle to the line direction.
    If a fish takes off rapidly the line angle is still pretty low, because the tip is usually pointing at the fish and if the knots are good they go up runners quite OK. That is if you have knots. Not so good if the knots are in GsP.
    I don't use glue on mono knots, the stuff is nylon and who knows what kind of solvents are in commercial glues. If I did it would be CA glue because it is inert. In any case mono knots, particularly biminis, which are all I use in mono twisty leaders are more secure than the tippet b/s, and if you use good knots in the leader the only time they get near the runners is at the end.
    I have a stuffed running line, 40lb Spiderwire in 20lb Gudebrod braided mono, that was put together in 1995 and it has a heap of CA, Loctite 406, glued joints that are about one eighth inch in length. There are no bindings, no nail knots and it's still going strong. And I can't pull it apart. I tried the other day just to check the thing.
    It was used for a while a few years ago, not washed and put on a line spool, and stored away for years, and it's still OK. I've put it back on a reel to go on my TFO 12 footer basically because it's 120 feet long.
    Max

Hi I use locktite 4850 with braided loops and for locking mono knots with good results. It is also pliable. cheers baldy