Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cape York Fly

Cape York Fly

Hi all,

I am considering planning a fly fishing trip by road from Brisbane to Cape York in Far North Queenland. The reason for my post is to gather some information on potential hazzards and benefits on such a trip. My intenetion is to get well up into the golf country before enen unpacking the wand.
    What I am looking for is possible local contacts, areas of interest, secret fishing spots, recomendations on guides, equipment requirments, accomodation, towns to base from and so on. I have two fishing buddies wanting to join me so far. What is worth considering is the opportunity for another partry with a 4wd to jion us on this adventure.

At this point I have not made any firm commitment to actual time of year but I am aware of the wet season restrictions.

Any feed back or assistance would be appreciated.

Re: Cape York Fly

Zucchini Bros (nice name for a post in a fly section),

The gulf has some awesome fly fishing - not that i'm very big into it myself yet - am yet to even land a fish on fly - but I have followed what some of the charter operators have been doing up that way for some time.

You'll probably need to put up a bit more information as to where exactly you intend to go, whether you'll have a boat or not etc to get a decent response.

Having said that, there are lots of land based options, depending on where you go to. There are also some very good guides that will give you "fly only" guided trips whether from Weipa or further north at Seisia.

If you have a boat I'd base myself in weipa amd explore the opportunities there - even if you went out with a guide for a day to learn some of the options on offer.

I believe a 9 weight with a tropical intermediate taper flyline is the go for the area with a reel with a very good drag and big backing capacity (the tuna, cobia, permit et al can put some distance on you very quickly.)

some more experienced fishers may be able to offer more specific assistance.

Moffy

Moffy,

Thanks for the response.

Good luck landing your first on fly, all I can tell you is it's a real buzz. Got me hooked after about two outings chasing river mullet and gar, now i can't get enough of the saltwater speedsters.

More info:
    It is not my intention to take a boat with me. Land based and guides (fly only) are in my mind.

Weipa, are my first thoughts and anything further north would be appreciated (Seisia I will look into thanks)

Noted on the gear requirments, should have sufficient in stock to cover.

Fly tips would come in handy guys if anyone is prepared to share.

I look forward to all replies.

Zucchini Bros A

this list taken from the website of one of the charter operators working out of Seisia with the owners opinion of what flies to take - this list for a week long mothership trip - so adapt to suit your needs.

At least 6 of each size Clouser Minnows, chartreuse / white, pink / white, blue / white. 1/0 size hook 1 ½" long fly. 2/0, 2 ½" fly. 3/0, 3" fly. Weighted Pink things (pink whistlers) 6 of n 3/0 hooks 2 ½" to 3 ½" long. 6 Feltys polar fiber minnows various size. Some 4" flashy profile flies (Feltys) for the sinking line blue water rod. All flies on chemical sharp hooks. I use Black Magic KS hooks. Feltys suspending crab flys for permit.

Moffy,

Thanks for the info.
    I have been on the net having a look around as suggested and have come up with some similar information.

If any one else out there has any additional info, all would be welcome.
    Like anyone i want to make sure that i am as prepared as possible.

Zucchini Bros A

S.S.

Make sure you book well in advance for your guide. #The peak periods are usually booked out. #Winter is generally quieter for the guides as the fishing isn't as fantastic as say March - June and from September onwards.

Flies, Yellow and white clousers, grey and white clousers or white clousers in # 2/0 or 1/0. #What more do you need?

Some of the giant herring and queenfish along the beach love small white deceivers tied on a #3 hook.

The beach fishing isn't a bad option. #Try up around the Mapoon area.

There aren't as many tourists up there this year, probably due to the grog restrictions. #I suppose hefty fuel prices would keep a few at home too. #Just means more camping spots for you!!!! #

SS,

I see that you are a new member. Welcome to Ausfish.

I appreciate the information offered in your post, by the sound of things you have spent some time up in the region.

Ah the clouser, old faithful, always along for the ride.

Your beach fishing comment got me thinking. How's the croc population up that way

Do you have to seek permission to fish Maroon or does this have public access?
    I suppose more the question is are there any/many restrictions on areas imposed by locals?

Is fuel (diesel) readily available if you are prepared to part with the dollars or is it best to haul it in with you?

Hope to hear more from you soon.

Zucchini Bors A

Mate diesel is readily available up at Mapoon and pretty much the same price as Weipa. It's 85 km north and a top spot. Weipa campground sells the permite and it's 30 bucks for your car for 1 day up to a week. That is, if you stay one day you fork out 30 bucks for vehicle access, if you stay 7 days, it's still only 30 bucks and I reckon a week is too short. On top of this vehicle charge is $5 per person/day, pretty cheap really. Current alcohol restrictions are 24 375 mL cans of Midstrength beer only and 2 litres of wine but be sure to check prior to entering. I've been twice and caught literally hundreds of fish of the beach at Cullen point, mostly queenfish and Blue Salmon but some good Golden Trevally are about and Barra if you go at the right time. Do a search and you may find my report from last october int he reports section. It's got a cool couple of pics of a big swamp Gecko's footprints beside my boat on the beach the last day!!
    Cheers, Mark.

I just came back from 8 days fly fishing with Seafaris on the cape.
    I'd go an 8wt on the beach, and a 10wt offshore, those sharks are thick at times. I guess you could use a 9wt offshore, but be prepared to muscle the fish in. I walked the beach with the 8wt and had a ball catch plenty of fish, there is nothing better than sight fishing the cape work beaches.
    We only saw a couple of small 6 ft or smaller snapping handbags, the big ones are there tho, so keep a very watchful eye out.
    Chartreuse clousers caught everything, but some polar fibre minnows go even better for the tuna. White on white and pink on white clousers are also great. I'll agree with moffy, Black Magic KS hooks are the go! it's all i used up there. I used merkin crabs on the flats, the permit and goldens seemed to like them a little better than the suspending crabs.
    Offshore, 20lb mono is enough as leader, unless the mackeral are there, then you need wire, on the flats, 15lb or 20lb tapered fluorocarbon leaders are the go.
    cheers
    drew

Good to have you back Drew, and good to hear you enjoyed your trip.

S.S.

You can throw anything into those tuna schools and hook up. We got a mate onto 8 on fly, he'd never touched a fly rod before that. So it ain't hard
    I'd say the sharks have worked out the mothership skiffs are a good source of food. The sharks seem to be particularly bad out from the Doughboy and also at the Redcliffes area around Weipa.
    I tie about 40 clousers before my trips to the cape. Don't mind Geoff Skinner's Gold Bomber flies either for the creeks and rivers, the jacks, salmon and barra love them.
    Alchohol restrictions PER VEHICLE!!!!! Check out the website for further details as they vary greatly from community to community
    www.mcmc.qld.gov.au/community/restricted.php

sometimes the tuna are fussy, but most of the time they are not fussed. I lost my first 4 tuna on fly to sharks before I just muscled them in, around 3mins was an average time once i worked out what I was doing.

I tied around 120 flies, 80 chartreuse/white, 20 of each white/white and pink/white, all were on a mixture of 2/0 and 3/0 black magic KS hooks.

Yes i reckon the sharks are clued onto the sound of the skiffs, we didn't have much of a problem like some of the other trips have had in the past.

* yes daniel I did have an awesome trip, haven't done a report yet, will try to get to it next week *

cheers

drew

S.S.

There's also a few good camps at the southern entrance of Crystal Creek 2 and the Northern side of the Cotteril. Beach fishing pretty bloody good as long as there aren't any swells running in from the west!! Makes it pretty much a waste of time. We've also found high tide to be a little more productive but that will depend on the beach itself and whether it's got a gentle slope or deep drop off.
    Make sure you take care driving the beaches

cotteril was good fun, caught plenty just inside the mouth on the rockbars, you just gotta get the flies working nice and deep along there.

Virilya point I picked up about 7 species on fly in an hour and a bit, some awesome territory there, great deep water off the rocky points and some good flats on the northern side as well, we saw some 30lb+ milkfish and 20lb permit cruising about in there.

cheers

D

Moffy / SS / Daintreeboy / Crew

Thanks to you all for your assistance.

I think that i might take a few clousers by the sounds of things.

This end of the country sounds wild and well worth visiting, i was starting to re-think my planned trip, but now with fish just laying on the beach waiting for me to come along i have no alternative but to forge ahead with this trip, thanks to you guys.

I have noted all you have advised and offered in information and will be following up on your suggestions.

Now to set a date and get going.

Thanks again for your assistance.