Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cape York Fly

Re: Cape York Fly

Mate just got back from there, haven't spoken to him yet but heard of a 120 cm Black jew as part of the catch.....

outtacontrol44

Great info Drew,
    sounds like you've done a fair bit of work up that way - CANT WAIT to read your report on the trip, make sure you post PLENTY of pics of the permit and goldens you caught on the merkins...

Hello.i went to weipa last oct,fishing from shore around weipa without boat is limited,but rewarding.From boat ramp at Evans landing early morning could catch as many queenys or trevas as wanted,i used mainly surf poppers[hard to cast but cheap & very affective],or long spit downstream andoom bridge[watch crocs this area].to flats out front of caravan park.Ididnt put much time on this as i had access to boat.Further north at Pennefather & Mapoon access to ocean beaches.Main road into Pennfather was unpassable due to extreme corrigations,look off side of road for tracks though bush much better ride[for camping permit nanum management 0740909124 same number mapoon]road good to mapoon.Being from vic & never saltwater flyfished at all i found it easy & very exciting.Dont worry to much about flys as if they are hungry they aint to fussy[another tip,buy the larger type bait jig & cutup to use flys].I used a 10ft8wtSage & cheap okuma reel,make sure u have plenty of backing[i use spiderwire etc]even then small fish take u into backing.Hugh ps in going again first 2weeks nov