Thread: Saratoga

Saratoga

HI!

I'm new to the forum and would like to itroduce my self. my name is Alex, and I'm mad keen fly fisher. I have spent the last summers in NZ fishing for trout, and the other summer in Norway fishing salmon and northern pike on the fly.

I live in Brisbane at the moment, and would like some tips regarding fly fishing in this area. I have heard Saratoga is stocked in some of the dams around here, but do not know where. Other specis I'm interested in is the Tarpon, and of course tuna. The tuna wil have to wait tho, cause I have no boat at the moment.

If anyone would like to go for a fishing trip one day, I would gladly come along and chip in on the fuel if boat fishing is the go.

Hope to hear some inputs fom you guys!

Thight lines

Alex

Re: Saratoga

Toga are available in Borumba Dam behind Gympie and are known to be a large size in that dam, a boat is probably best. Also Hinze Dam on the Gold Coast has a population of toga. Best time is early morning or late afternoon. They will take poppers, sliders, dahlbergs and minnow patterns, also dragonfly patterns, grasshoper and cricket patterns and other larger flies.

Hi!

Thanks for the answer!

One question... are they biting yet, or is it still abit cold in the water?

Alex

Welcome to sunny QLD mate,

I have fly fished alot for Toga's in the past and am hoping to do alot this year aswell. I usually go to Lake Barumba near a town called Imbil, which is exactly 1hr 10 min north from the Bribie Is turn off on the Hwy. At the moment they are very slow due to the weather being too cold for them, I find when the water gets around 22oC plus (hotter the better)

My biggest there is 98cm on a cone headed brown woolybugger and usually fish with brown, purple or/and black zonkers, woolybuggers and any bait fish looking flies, even shrimp patterns. Poppers and dahlbergs are an exciting way to fish for them, especially when you see them tracking your fly, then Wham!!!. I use 12-15lb fluero leader due to there boney mouths and a floater fly line.

Also I use spinnerbaits on the overcast outfit, in all colours. Alot of the locals use gold and my favourite is purple.

You definately require a boat here due to gettin gto the prime fishing haunts i.e. Kingam Arm and Yabba Crk.

Hope this helps.

Hi wolybugger!

Thanks for the reply!

And if you do not have a boat? Is it a waste of time trying without a boat? Or is there other places where you can get them from the shore?

Regards
    Alex

At Barumba there ain't much room now the water has risen and have approx 50 metres of fishing area. Lake McDonald has a fair bit of area that you can cast from the bank, but still a boat is preferable.

If you can't afford a boat, what about a canoe. A friend of mine has one and can access heaps of areas, especially where a boat can't get like in small creeks etc.

Because I have a boat I don't really take much notice of bank access etc so have limited knowledge. Try putting a post in the other forums on this web site and other web sites.

Sorry I couldn't have much info for you.

Cheers,

Reidy

Hi there Alex
    I have fished Borumba for years and know the area well it is a hard water to fish but can run hot in the warmer months although saratoga do start to pair up in November, I travel up to borumba a number of times each year and there are way of catch a toga from the bank, one is to fish the larger pools of Yabba creek witch is the creek that flows out of Borumba normally on a reel hot day late afternoon, I have pulled togas up 90cm Plus it test you out will placment casting. The other is a walk. You cross the creek at the bottom of the dam and theres a road follow that up the hill and then make your way to shore it takes around 1 hr to get there but again it does have rewards. The ex guide John Rowe and I often drive up the dam and walk the bank its a great way to fish if I am heading up that way I would be happy to take you out.

Regards Nathan

Hey Nathan!

Thanks for some really useful info! really appreciated! I'll put you on my MSN list if you don't mind. I'd love to go up there fishing one day or two... Where are you located?

Woolybugger,
    I'm just in Australia for a year, and cannot justefy buying a canoe just now. If I end up moving to Autralia permanently, I'll buy a boat. Thanks for the info anyway... Have you been up there yet this year? And how is your flyfishing club going? did you get much interest?

Regards
    Alex